Hotels

N519AT

Ahh! This is how I change this!
Well, I have a question. Anyone know any good hotels preferably on a large airport with a great airport?

I mean "great view" bear with me its 2:31 AM here
frown.gif

Well, I see you are in Sylvania...the last time I was at CMH at think there were a few hotels running down the north side which I think might have views of 10L/28R. Bear in mind its been quite a while since Ive been there, the last time was when they were adding on to the parking and such.

I know sometimes there isnt much to see there, but its the only one I know of or can think of that Ive been to.

There's a hotel in the terminal at ORD ... a Hilton I think ... that is supposed to be decent. The Marriott at IAH would be good if you got a west-facing window, then you could see 15L/R which are used for departures. Try the Renaissance on the north side of the field in ATL as well.

FL270

The Renaissance at ATL. The hotel is few 100 feet off of the runways.

Prices are good too, about $80/night.

Make sure you ask for a view of the airport.

There are a bunch of airports at LAX with good views. I got to watch a bunch of planes on final when I stayed there last time!

Unfortunately, that was more interesting than the football game I went out to see.

frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I have a question. Anyone know any good hotels preferably on a large airport with a great airport?

[/ QUOTE ]

MCO I think.

Good hotel, good airport, in fact, it's right in the terminal!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MCO I think.

Good hotel, good airport, in fact, it's right in the terminal!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I believe its a Hyatt and you can request a runway view and the rooms have a littel balcony you can sit on and watch the ground ops etc etc...

And at the MCO Hyatt they have a resturant with an all glass wall right on the runway.

Yep, another vote here for MCO. I've never stayed there but I've always thought it would be ultra cool to stay at a hotel in the middle of the terminal.

Although you can't stay there overnight, Sierra Academy is located in an old hotel at Oakland International. I believe its the first hotel built on an airport in the country. Amelia Earhart used to frequent it in her day and it is believed that she stayed there the night before she left for Florida to begin her circomnavigational flight that she never returned from. OAK isn't all that exciting of an airport though, but it is pretty neat to visit the hotel.

Question for you pro pilots out there. Does the airline put you guys in a hotel in the terminal if there is one, or do they just put you at the cheapest hotel possible?

LAX is pretty good, I know that Long Beach is a small airport, but can watch the planes from the diner on the second floor of the terminal and you are pretty much about 100 feet from the aircraft. I can get the hotel that is pretty good for snapping pictures at LAX if you want.

[ QUOTE ]
Question for you pro pilots out there. Does the airline put you guys in a hotel in the terminal if there is one, or do they just put you at the cheapest hotel possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Doug talked about this in the layover secion on the main site. If I'm not mistaken he said that it depends on the layover. If its a short layover they will put you up in a Holiday Inn quality place close to the airport. If its a long layover they will put you up in a nicer hotel in the heart of the city. I remember staying at the Westin in Denver last summer and saw an airline crew checking in. Not too shabby!!

There is a Westin connected to the world gateway terminal in DTW, I haven't stayed there but I am sure it would offer some sort of a view since you are basically in the airport. Toronto's Pearson has a similar situation with a brand new hotel inside a brand new terminal

*honourable mention as well to the new (a few years old now) northwest terminal at DTW. It doesn't get much hype, but what an upgrade from before. Definatley one of the best terminals in the world.

Sometimes they put different crew members in different places. For example, in DC, one airline puts their pilots up at the Washington Hilton (the one where Reagan got shot) and their flight attendants at either the Westin Embassy Row (very nice) or the Savoy (not so nice).

I know that the AeroMexico people at LAX were in the Sheraton there. And in Austin, I was in the lobby when some folks checked into what is now an Embassy Suites (I think, it was rebranded right around the time where I got laid off from my last job)

Back