Hong Kong Kaitai International Airport

EcstasyChild

This airport closed in 1998. I guess I will never have the chance to land into this airport. This is the hardest airport to land in the world. Amazingly... only two accidents for this crazy airport.

Please wait while the pictures load...
image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

image007.jpg

image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

That Air China that went swimming was only a week old I think it was on its 3rd or 4th flight for them. If you do not know the story they blew off the tail to re-open the airport. Also they had a hard time with the body count as some of the businessmen swam from the plane to the shore and went on their way to their business meeting like it was a bog standard landing.

My dad tried the approach into there 5 or 6 times and finally they diverted to another airport. I've heard some stories of some pretty nasty crosswinds there!

[ QUOTE ]
the first two photos are from a game? or are they real?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are definitely real, check out Airliners.net and click on "Accidents." You'll find those photos and more, and most of them with captions.

Flew in there many times -- the last time about 1 week before it closed. It was always a challenge but also fun. We all hoped it would be our leg when we went in there -- you just don't get to do that stuff in a big airplane otherwise! The new airport is a lot easier, not so interesting anymore.

I'd imagine the cabin cleaning crews were kept quite busy cleaing the seats after some of those landings..... as well as the boutique owners probably made a KILLING off of new trousers.

wink.gif

Hated to see the airport close down. I wonder what the main reason was for the closing. I think one answer is the rising economy in the Hong Kong area plus they built another airport outside the city. I think they should have kept Kai Tak open. I would've loved to someday travel there to witness some of those landings...oh well..
frown.gif
I guess the pics will have to do.

Dan

Hey Seagull... Are you a MD-11 driver for FedEx ? if so, are you based out of Memphis ? I load the 1415 LAX flight every night >> MD-11.

Dan

I was hoping it would stay open when I made it to proffesional aviation so I could have a chance to do that stuff. 45 degree angle would scare the $%^& out of me if I was in one of the middle rows on a widebody.
blush.gif

Im sure everyone has seen that crazy 747 crosswind video.

Tom

Wait a minute, I am TOTALLY confused. I know about that approach, and that it came close to the buildings and all, but are those real crosswind landings, or doctored photos? Why in the world would any pilot continue an approach/landing like that when it is clearly almost botched? Those 747s really did hit there engines like that? If you were flying an A340 into there did you have autoland? It looks like good old stick and rudder!

Yeap all those pictures are real - why did the pilots not go around - who knows? I am sure they are all good old stick and rudder, I doubt autoland can hand heavy crosswinds (10 knots man - anyone?).

The name's Kai Tek. It's closed now. You should see the Jepp plate for it...."fly as close to the panel on Beacon Hill as you dare and hang a right!"

[ QUOTE ]
You should see the Jepp plate for it...."fly as close to the panel on Beacon Hill as you dare and hang a right!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone happen to have a copy of it, or know where to find one? It'd be interesting to see!
cool.gif

Back