Hong Kong and Singapore

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
So, I'll put this here, hoping most see it. We've had a semi serious conversation at home that we would think about someday doing the expat thing over there. Lots of reasons why we would do it, just curious if any of y'all have done it and would care to comment on its merits and detractions. Would be taking the large cabin corporate route and I'd be bringing wife and 3 kids. Wife also still has family in Vietnam, so very interested in finding out about feasibility of commuting from there to either of the two cities.
Might be low participation in this thread around here, so even if you've spent time in either city, would encourage feedback.
Thanks!

So, I'll put this here, hoping most see it. We've had a semi serious conversation at home that we would think about someday doing the expat thing over there. Lots of reasons why we would do it, just curious if any of y'all have done it and would care to comment on its merits and detractions. Would be taking the large cabin corporate route and I'd be bringing wife and 3 kids. Wife also still has family in Vietnam, so very interested in finding out about feasibility of commuting from there to either of the two cities.
Might be low participation in this thread around here, so even if you've spent time in either city, would encourage feedback.
Thanks!
I don't know anything about it, other than having friends that have done it. If there's no response on this thread in a few weeks (I'll be on the road for IOE for the next couple of weeks), message me and I'll try to get you in touch with people who do know.

I’ll be out there in about 4 weeks! Just my wife and I. Really looking forward to it! Most likely staying somewhere on Lantau Island, like Mui Wo or Tung Chung.

Thanks!

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you an Excel spreadsheet of the tuition cost at 158 schools in Asia. With 3 kids the only way you can make it work is to home school; send your kids to local public schools; or have a wife that is a teacher so tuition is comped. Forget about American or International schools in most locations as the costs are in the $30,000/year/child range. Hong Kong actually has one of the cheaper American schools (American International School Hong Kong) at only $20,277 for the current school year.

Mind you the above figures are tuition and annual fees only. There is usually a steep one time entrance fee typically in the $10,000-$15,000 range per child. The spots for these schools are extremely competitive and they often have waiting lists. Some American schools will prioritize American passport holders which helps a little. Schooling is a huge issue so that is one area you need to do a lot of homework on before making a decision to become an expat.

A number of Hong Kong management companies "base" pilots in China. Those positions can be commutable, but each account is different. As Vietnam becomes richer it is not out of the question that you could find an account based there via one of the Hong Kong management companies.

Again, there are some accounts with a rotation, but they seem to be in the minority. A lot of Asian owners only want two full time pilots so even getting days off can be difficult. You have to pick the account very carefully in Asia. The accounts that had three pilots screwed themselves in more ways than one. Guys would voluntarily do two man trans-Pacs just so the other pilot could stay home on his days off. The result is the owners now think they only need two pilots for any flight duration. Some accounts have dropped the third pilot and contracting is slowing way down because the owner now says, "why do I need to hire a contractor?, you guys did this with two pilots last time".

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you an Excel spreadsheet of the tuition cost at 158 schools in Asia. With 3 kids the only way you can make it work is to home school; send your kids to local public schools; or have a wife that is a teacher so tuition is comped. Forget about American or International schools in most locations as the costs are in the $30,000/year/child range. Hong Kong actually has one of the cheaper American schools (American International School Hong Kong) at only $20,277 for the current school year.

Mind you the above figures are tuition and annual fees only. There is usually a steep one time entrance fee typically in the $10,000-$15,000 range per child. The spots for these schools are extremely competitive and they often have waiting lists. Some American schools will prioritize American passport holders which helps a little. Schooling is a huge issue so that is one area you need to do a lot of homework on before making a decision to become an expat.

A number of Hong Kong management companies "base" pilots in China. Those positions can be commutable, but each account is different. As Vietnam becomes richer it is not out of the question that you could find an account based there via one of the Hong Kong management companies.

Again, there are some accounts with a rotation, but they seem to be in the minority. A lot of Asian owners only want two full time pilots so even getting days off can be difficult. You have to pick the account very carefully in Asia. The accounts that had three pilots screwed themselves in more ways than one. Guys would voluntarily do two man trans-Pacs just so the other pilot could stay home on his days off. The result is the owners now think they only need two pilots for any flight duration. Some accounts have dropped the third pilot and contracting is slowing way down because the owner now says, "why do I need to hire a contractor?, you guys did this with two pilots last time".
Good info, thanks! I was under the impression there were jobs to be had that gave assistance for tuition and housing. Does that exist? Even with some of the salaries I've seen, it would be tough with three kids going to school. One of the big reasons to do it would be to get the retirement account padded nicely. Would be tough if we're dropping $150k a year on housing and school.

Back