Holy V-speeds Batman! Look at this!

Timbuff10

So I was poking around the other day between flights and decided to take my break in the left seat of a brand new airbus A319. Not a bad spot to relax for a few minutes.

Well anyway I had my camera with me and couldnt help but notice some of the V-speeds on that thing! On a A319 Vfe=230kts, my Cessna 172 Vfe=85kts. HA!

check out the picture, Gotta check these out!

Those speeds are fairly typical for transport category aircraft. The flap speeds seem a little low. I'm not familiar with Airbus nomenclature but I believe 'Flaps 1' is a slat extension only and 'Flaps1+F' is the the first actual flap extension you get - you have to be 215 kias or slower to extend flaps??? Yikes - how do those guys slow down??

Jason

On the -88/90:

280 Slats Ext
250 Flaps 11 (I think)
240 Flaps 15
220 Flaps 23 (well, kind of an unofficial setting)
195 Flaps 28
190 Flaps 40 (I think)

Saab 340B

Flaps 7 - 175
Flaps 15 - 175
Flaps 20 - 165
Flaps 40 - 140

Getting closer to the 172
wink.gif

Well I guess its not that big of a deal to you "old timers" but for me, Vne may as well be warp speed! It's just amazing to me.

Doug that goes for both the 88 and 90 right?

Besides the bigger engines on the 90 what are the main differences? Im guessing the 90 has a few more seats maybe some more lavs?

So they started with the DC-9, then MD80, 82, 83, 88, and finally the 90? did i miss any in there? Think a 91 will be coming soon or has that aircraft been stretched as far as it can go?

Ok im done with my nagging questions
smile.gif

Tim

[ QUOTE ]
Well I guess its not that big of a deal to you "old timers" but for me, Vne may as well be warp speed! It's just amazing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I guess the aircraft doesn't have much of a problem slowing down like a lot of other types. I remember when I flew the 737, if ATC gave us an altitude restriction, before the captain finished answering ATC, I already had the speedbrakes deployed and pushing the nose over.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug that goes for both the 88 and 90 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup!

[ QUOTE ]
Besides the bigger engines on the 90 what are the main differences? Im guessing the 90 has a few more seats maybe some more lavs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same amount of lavs, 19 feet longer (I think), carries 12/138 in the -90 (14/128 in the -88). FADEC, better electical system, hydraulic pitch augmentation, upgraded engine instrumentation and an IFE system.

The -88 has 21,750# thrust per JT-8 engine, the -90 has 28,000# thrust per IAE V2532 engine.

The -88 has a max takeoff weight of 149.500 lbs whereas the -90 has a max takeoff weight of 160,500 lbs.

I think it was a DC-9-10 (original), then -14, -30, -50, -80 (MD-80), -83, -87, -88 but the MD-90 is really an MD-90-30. The type ratings all say "DC-9" though. I might be wrong.

The MD-90 program is cancelled, as far as I know.

But the most important part is that the -90 pays more than the -88!
smile.gif

Wow, cool info, thanks Doug!

I havent seen much of that series on the ramp here in DEN where I work but they do seem really looooong when you get up close to them. Pretty neat and unique airplanes actually.

"But the most important part is that the -90 pays more than the -88! "

You had me crackin up there, spoken like a true pilot!

I know little about the subject, so I could very well be way off base, but I was talking to a CO MD-80 pilot and he told me that with either the -87 or -88 McD stopped the DC-9 type rating and they officially became rated as MD-XX instead of DC-9-83.

I kinda wonder what the 717 (MD-95) got it's rating as...

Ive heard people on the ramp call them "Boeing MD 80s" Kinda like a "Burger King McDonalds Big Mac"... same deal right?

I think they refer to them like that in MSFS2004 too if im not mistaken?

Well since Boeing owns MD, well, more like assimilated.. I suppose you could go either way on technicallity.

Hey Doug - what exactly is an 'unofficial' flap setting?? I'm sure it's an approved procedure if I was to look for it in the AFM right??
wink.gif
haha

Jason

We have a 'flap selector' that moves a detent for special flap settings. I think it goes from 0 to 24.

All of the landing gear warnings begin with flaps selected 24 or above so we usually set the detent at 23 so we can get the most drag possible without having the landing gear down.

Like when you are 15 miles out and ATC asks for 160 knots and flaps 15 isn't cutting it.

The normal settings are 0/slats extend, 11, 15, 28, 40.

Sometimes we use flaps 5 and flaps 18 when the performance data requires it. Usually on short runways like SNA.

On the Airbus flaps "1" are only slats. 1+F is the setting of flaps, then 2,3, and FULL. Departure is done in 1+F, or 2, and arrival usually FULL, and also 3.
The bus has managed modes via the information from the MCDU, which takes care of the FPM, and speed. So when your faster than you should be it will call out More Drag, and raise pitch to hit that target speed for the DES mode.

Info from the Airbus 320 AOM

Hi all,

Speeds for the A320/A319:
1 - 230
1+F - 215
2 - 200
3 - 185
Full - 177

Although our company speeds are 10 knots less for each.

In case you didn't guess, those flap settings don't represent actual degrees of travel, but simply the position of the flap selector.

There is no Flaps 1 + F position that is selectable, simply a Flaps 1 position. When you extend the flaps by moving the selector to 1 from up , you get slats only. If you retract the flaps by moving the selector from the Flaps 1 position from the Flaps 2 position, you get flaps and slats, which is called 1 + F.

The Airbus 320/319 is a slick critter. Decents at anything less than 280-290kts require spoilers. Descents at 220kts and idle thrust only give you around 700-800 ft/mn, far less than whats required in the terminal enviroment. Fortunately you can use spoilers all the way down to Flaps 3 (plus gear), and they spend alot of time in the sim on visual approaches from a high start altitude.

The 'bus is a mystical beast. It helps to have a lot of faith in stuff you can't see.

Best,
Richman

Yea, I wonder what the reaction is from a pilot of the DC-9 training for the A-320.

I hear the Airbus is harder to fly than alot of jets? If not the hardest?

What do pilots has trouble with?

Back