Hobbs Question

ClipperPilot

Just curious to know, if anyone does, in the C-172 or 152 is there a way to stop the hobbs from running? I used to fly the DA-20 and if you pulled the fuel pump circuit breaker the hobbs would stop, we would save a couple bucks between flights that way, just curious if there was a way on the Cessna's.

Yes, drain the oil out the engine so when you start it there is no oil presure to activate the hobbs meter.

Good luck out there cheating your local FBOs, I'm sure you'll go far in aviation with that.

Geez what a nice guy you are! So someone is going to fly a plane after you have put beaux cuop hours on it, and is mostly likely not within 100 hr inspection. Very illegal too, I might add.

PLEASE nobody tell him how to do this!

[ QUOTE ]
Geez what a nice guy you are! So someone is going to fly a plane after you have put beaux cuop hours on it, and is mostly likely not within 100 hr inspection. Very illegal too, I might add.

PLEASE nobody tell him how to do this!

[/ QUOTE ]

The 100 hr should go by Tach time not Hobbs time, but I agree with you, its not a good idea...

I rarely see aircraft with both Tach and Hobbs meters. If so, that would sure be an easy way to get caught!

Tach time is usually proportional to engine rpm, so it would be hard to catch someone. Usually the tach time runs very slow on the ground due to only having 1000rpm or so.

I would imagine that if an aircraft has tach time, that is what they would use for maintenance. It saves the FBO money.

Most of the aircraft where I am at have a revenue hobbs that runs either off the master switch (twins) or the engine oil pressure (singles). Maintenance is done off a separate hobbs that only runs during flight. The singles have a switch on the nose gear that turns on the maintenance hobbs under the engine cowling. The hobbs in the twins are tied in with the squat switch for the gear. There is usually about a 30% difference between the two on the twins, probably less for the singles.

When I have been in aircraft where both hobbs and tach gages have been installed, and both are working, I have noticed that you get about .7 or .8 for every hobbs hour.

If someone was pulling the hobbs breaker consistently it would show up fairly quickly.

You have to remember, that doing something like this is stealing.

You are not really doing yourself any favors either. You need to build the time, so it's pay now, or pay later.

Back