HIRED!!

I thought flying mail for the army air corps (at least when Roosevelt had them do it) was a near death sentence. Would that be a "good job gone bad?"
smile.gif

Well mail flying sucked back in the early days of aviation, but I don't know a person on earth that wouldn't snap a neck to fly for UPS or FDX.

Doug-

I Agree with your today job/yesterday job statement.

My opinion: today's problems are yesterday's solutions.

$.02 only

[ QUOTE ]
You still haven't told me where Comair and Mesa share a crew lounge. I haven't spewed anything but facts my friend. You are the one spewing junk, bashing an airline you know very little about, and even worse, dissing your ALPA brothers

[/ QUOTE ]

John T- Didn't you read my last post about never assuming anything? Know your facts first? Whoever said I went to work for Comair besides your assumption? Anyway, so on my last trip I also (since getting lambasted on this thread) decided to get even more input from Mesa pilots mouths about their company and job before I opened my mouth again. All loved one aspect of the job- that is they loved the flying and the equipment. The first officers I talked to weren't as happy with the quality of life as they hoped for (especially the ones on reserve). I guess being on reserve for them really wasn't that enjoyable. The only Captain I got to talk to, unfortunately briefly, was griping about quite a bit. I guess he was stuck having to wait on his crew again and he wasn't happy about it. A bad day I guess. I didn't push the conversation. He had enough on his plate to deal with. All in all, they were nice guys who like to fly, just like us all, but it definitely made me appreciate my QOL a bit more now.

Sorry. I saw the "Worked at DCA, got hired." Figured it was Comair.

I've been doing some research on Mesa lately and morale is pretty low there but it still beats the hell out of Gulfstream, Colgan, etc.

The pay is average and the equipment is new. The time is quality time. I remember a couple of times during my 5 years at Mesa when morale was low.

The good thing about those low times is the seniority list gets cleaned out. They had guys leaving for other commuters back then (as they do now) and my seniority # got lower and lower.

I was hired in July 1996. No other airline upgraded CRJ captains in May 2000 from July 1996 new hires. It was the right place for me.

I worked at a couple of so called "good contract airlines" and movement was very very slow.

If you want to get to the left seat of a brand new jet within 5 years, Mesa isn't such a bad place to be.

My research is also showing Chautauqua as being a hot spot. Looking better all the time.

Shoot! Can't we just give the guy a round of applause or something, at least he is HIRED, not still sending out resumes...Congrats man.

Hi raysalmon, Congrats on your job. Question. Do you know the procedures on DoJ background check? Did you have to fill out online FTCCP stuff or did the airline take care of it all? Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks! I am currently awaiting some info from Mesa and will then be able to complete the online FTCCP application. The airline cannot really do it for you since they require a lot of very detailed information that would be easier to give to the DOJ yourself.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
...but why do you want to work for a company that most of the pilots in the industry despise? Just look at the faces of these guys in the crew rooms of the airlines they fly routes for. Mesa pilots are the ones huddled in the corner, not smiling, looking miserable. The scary thing is Mesa doesn't have the worst contract, but they have taken the brunt of abuse because the pilots caved on holding out for a contract that would bring the level of the industry up (or at least on the same level of other bigger regionals), not down. Their contract is better than it was, but not close to what it should be for flying the same equipment as other regionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

JP: I've read your follow-up posts, but wanted to shed some light on this.

(1) Mesa pilots are disenchanted right now because we bust our arsas on a daily basis for an inept management team. Our reserve guys get abused because the company neglected to hire pilots (they have yet to figure out the 3-month lag from Day 1 of training to being line qualified), resulting in a shortage that has existed for well over a year. Our training department is cranking people out rather quickly now, and aircraft deliveries are not 8/mo now, so things are getting caught up. As for hiding in a crew room and what-have-you, I'm not sure where that comes from. I'm no better or worse than any other pilot, so screw the pissants who [expletive deleted] about us all day long.

(2) That's the next point: all the feeble-minded who claim we caved, that we should have held out or gone on strike. Did any of them work here? Nope. They do not have the facts. They do not understand. Strike? Easily at least a year away from where we were, and by then Freedumb would have taken all CR7 and CR9 deliveries, the ERJs would have been sold off (yes it is fact that was in the works). Our Negotiating Committee did not help this situation; their arrogance towards the Freedumb situation did not help whatsoever. Yes, our contract leaves much to be desired, but we did not lose pay, we are guaranteed payrate increases every 18 months (old contract did not have that), we put all of the CC Air pilots back to work (Mgmnt put them out), and we as a group learned that we will be more unified and prepared in 2007. We made a sacrifice in some areas in order to gain SCOPE. Maybe these nay-sayers would be happier if Freedumb was still roaming free; ahh yes, but then that'd be our fault, too.

(3) We will never get paid the same as Comair, ASA, Mesaba, Air Whisky, et al, because 40% of our revenue comes from America West. They do not have deep pockets, as evidenced in their pilots' new contract. You codeshare at the shallow end of the money pool (U, UA, HP), you will not make the big money. Pre-9/11 and before concessions, Southwest made "crap" for money to fly 737s when compared to DAL, AA, and UA. HP, F9, and others also made "piss" for money. Were they all the scourge of the industry? I don't here anyone screaming about how they sold out the industry. Pretty simple: like equipment does not equal like pay. LCCs and their code-shares will never pay what the legacy carriers do.

I hope this helps, and please do not take it as an attack on you. I realize that you only know that to which you're exposed, and it's not always correct.

-Bog

Hey bogberto, I don't think anybody is degrading the pilot group at Mesa, your problems come from your management, all of us in the airline industry know this. Your work conditions are the worst right now, but who knows in a couple of years where you will be standing? The only critique we could have, is about Freedom... But I am sure not even you support the choice some of your pilots made.

The guy got a job for crying out lout, in this day and age, it is pretty damn good!
Congratulations on your new job Ray, enjoy every minute of it!

I wasn't knocking Ray. He's on our "Lounge" and he and I have traded a few messages. I'd love to have him at Mesa.

Maybe you aren't guilty of it, but yes indeedy almost all of the whiners in the hotel vans, crew rooms, and flightinfo.com boards are attacking the PILOTS of Mesa, not our management.

As for change, we're working on it right now. There's only so much we can do about management, but it's our own pilot "leadership" that's in need of a rebuild. That's our primary goal right now.

-B

[ QUOTE ]
Hey bogberto, I don't think anybody is degrading the pilot group at Mesa, your problems come from your management, all of us in the airline industry know this. Your work conditions are the worst right now, but who knows in a couple of years where you will be standing? The only critique we could have, is about Freedom... But I am sure not even you support the choice some of your pilots made.

The guy got a job for crying out lout, in this day and age, it is pretty damn good!
Congratulations on your new job Ray, enjoy every minute of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately like Bog said, they do attack the pilot group directly. Most of the time they're just repeating what they read over on Flightinfo and have no real knowledge of what went on with contract negotiations and why what happened happened etc etc. I'm sure I don't understand all the ins and outs and it's certainly not my position to be pointing fingers anywhere, at least not at this stage
smile.gif

No company or pilot group is perfect, and so long as people who are headed into the "small jet provider" industry go in with their eyes wide open, then they'll probably be ok. I have lots to learn and no doubt some of it will be exciting and some will not. So what's new in life?

Having said all that, I agree with you, I got a job in this kind of job market. I am thrilled to say the least. It won't all be fun and excitement but as I responded to someone on the 'Lounge', life is what you make of it. Good circumstances help, but like my mama always told me, when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

I appreciate your perspective, I hope there's many more out there like you that I'll get to work with soon.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't knocking Ray. He's on our "Lounge" and he and I have traded a few messages. I'd love to have him at Mesa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking forward to meeting you on the line one day.

[ QUOTE ]
As for change, we're working on it right now. There's only so much we can do about management, but it's our own pilot "leadership" that's in need of a rebuild. That's our primary goal right now.
-B

[/ QUOTE ]

And once I become a full voting member sometime next year, you can count on my participation in helping to make the pilot group a unified voice
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe you aren't guilty of it, but yes indeedy almost all of the whiners in the hotel vans, crew rooms, and flightinfo.com boards are attacking the PILOTS of Mesa, not our management.

-B

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, at least all the pilots I know are aware of your situation, we are not blaming you guys!!
Also, next time you guys are in ORD, don't be affraid to wave and say hi!! Don't walk in the terminal with your head down!
See you, and man, keep fighting!

Back