HIMS Program

I have began school and was issued a 1st class medical certificate. And about 2 months later, i received a letter from FAA telling me to provide info about my DUI from 3 years ago. I was arrested for DUI, marijuana related. It was reduced to reckless driving. I provided all the necessary information and now they want me to do a HIMS program.

I have a few questions:
1. How long does this program usually last?
2. Will being in this program cause problems for being hired in the future?
3. If I expunge my record will I still have to do HIMS in the future?

Thanks, please let me know!

I have began school and was issued a 1st class medical certificate. And about 2 months later, i received a letter from FAA telling me to provide info about my DUI from 3 years ago. I was arrested for DUI, marijuana related. It was reduced to reckless driving. I provided all the necessary information and now they want me to do a HIMS program.

I have a few questions:
1. How long does this program usually last?
2. Will being in this program cause problems for being hired in the future?
3. If I expunge my record will I still have to do HIMS in the future?

Thanks, please let me know!

1. Monitoring is usually 3-5 years.
2. Being in the HIMS program in and of itself won't. Your criminal record is what you will have to justify to employers (you'll be able to find a job).
3. Yes. What triggers the process for the FAA is an arrest, conviction or administrative action. You could of been arrested for DUI, charges completely dropped but the Aeromedical division may still require you to go into HIMS (depends on you BAC), simply because of the arrest.

Back