Highschool Student to Pilot

Wasdog

Hi all i am currently in year 11 at school and only have one more year after that i am currently gliding at the moment and i am very close to recieving my A Certificate (roughly in a month or 2). After that i plan to go onto my SPL & PPL. I love flying and i don't see myself doing anything different :D i have heard that if i get my CPL i can fly skydiving planes or do some charter work or i could aim for a Cadetship with an airline. It would be great if i could hear some of your storys and how you got to where you are today or other options that would boost my career in the aviation industry.
Any help is much appreciated
Cheers Nick

Hi Nick, welcome to the board.

While I would encourage you to pursue your dream and don't lose sight of it, I would also suggest doing so while going through college. It is true that a degree isn't required by a lot of airlines. But, with the industry as it is, you really need a background in something else, just in case. Also, without one, you'll be at a competitive disadvantage as most commercial pilots have.

All that said, my point of reference is the US system, and I'm not familiar with Cadetships, so your experience in the JAL system may differ.

Good luck,

Hi Nick, welcome to the board.

While I would encourage you to pursue your dream and don't lose sight of it, I would also suggest doing so while going through college. It is true that a degree isn't required by a lot of airlines. But, with the industry as it is, you really need a background in something else, just in case. Also, without one, you'll be at a competitive disadvantage as most commercial pilots have.

All that said, my point of reference is the US system, and I'm not familiar with Cadetships, so your experience in the JAL system may differ.

Good luck,

Thanks Heath i havn't heard that one before but since you mentioned it i will definately check it out. I'm sorry i didn't explain myself properly but the cadetship i am looking at is with a regional airline in Australia called Rex they fly Saab 340's. All information can be found here: http://www.rex.com.au/cadetpilot/Default.aspx :D

This is a scam. Like Gulfstream Academy. Don't get caught up in loans and don't pay for a job like this scheme. 6 years to stay employed is crazy...you would be an indentured servant.

Hi all i am currently in year 11 at school and only have one more year after that i am currently gliding at the moment and i am very close to recieving my A Certificate (roughly in a month or 2). After that i plan to go onto my SPL & PPL. I love flying and i don't see myself doing anything different :D i have heard that if i get my CPL i can fly skydiving planes or do some charter work or i could aim for a Cadetship with an airline. It would be great if i could hear some of your storys and how you got to where you are today or other options that would boost my career in the aviation industry.
Any help is much appreciated
Cheers Nick

As far as I know ATP won't take foreign students, so your best bet is to come over here and go to college for flying, or do it at a little mom and pop place. I'd recommend getting your degree in something other than flying, and flying on the side as you go through school, but there are options out there. Here are some decent colleges:

University of Alaska Anchorage (a little pricey, but good)
Central Missouri State University
Utah Valley University

I've had dealings with these institutions, and think they aren't bad. I'm currently a UAA student in the Math program. All in all its a good school, the teaching isn't the greatest, but its cheap.

ATP is now taking foriegn students for the private program. I belive they have something in the works for the rest of it as well. Check the website. If you want to come to the states, it is a decent bargin. I know I am about to get slayed for makeing this statement, but for what you get, it's not a bad deal.

P.S. The only people I have found that disagree with me on this are on these forums. Yes some say that they have $15k invested in this thus far, but ehy don't have all the certs that ATP gives you. As far as the get there first attitude, who do you think will get there first:

Pilot A: 1500tt, 1300 dual given, 60 ME
Pilot B: 1300tt, 1100 dual given, 250 ME

One last note, I am not up for discussion on this topic. Reply with a quote if you like. I respect your opnion, but please respect mine.

ATP is now taking foriegn students for the private program. I belive they have something in the works for the rest of it as well. Check the website. If you want to come to the states, it is a decent bargin. I know I am about to get slayed for makeing this statement, but for what you get, it's not a bad deal.

P.S. The only people I have found that disagree with me on this are on these forums. Yes some say that they have $15k invested in this thus far, but ehy don't have all the certs that ATP gives you. As far as the get there first attitude, who do you think will get there first:

Pilot A: 1500tt, 1300 dual given, 60 ME
Pilot B: 1300tt, 1100 dual given, 250 ME

One last note, I am not up for discussion on this topic. Reply with a quote if you like. I respect your opnion, but please respect mine.

Thanks for that mate its seems a pretty good deal and you get all the certificates and decent hours thanks :)

Back