Highest Time Pilot?

Fatigue

"especially before things like fatigue were taken seriously"

I hate to tell you Iain but...they still don't take fatigue seriously. Not speaking for myself cause I enjoy the senior easy life, but a good example of a fatigue inducing trip has been going around our union message board. Go on duty in the evening and fly Louisville-Rockford, sit the sort, Rockford-San Antonio, wait for the Louisville plane to come in....maybe around 6 or 7am if they aren't late. Wait for them to unload the plane. Then fly a couple of hours down through Mexican airspace, where you can't understand half of what they say anyhow, besides the fact that you are barely awake. Get in around 9 or 10am, if you're lucky.

Sound like fun boys and girls?

Re: Fatigue

I hear you Don - I know on most of my Trans-Atlantic flights I am exhausted by the end of it - and that is sitting in the back - I can not imagine flying into busy foreign airspace, where the butcher the language, have different norms, especially if the coffe machine is broken.

Re: Fatigue

Fatigue isn't taken seriously AT ALL in the business and most of the rules that revolve around fatigue and hours of work were usually hardfought by organized labor.

One of the MD80 instructors I work with has about 38,000 hours. The guy is amazing, he landed a DC8 on fire after it was hit by a surface to air missle during his Air America days, he usually involved with anything related with Air America, books and has been on the "E" Channel & the History Channel.

We have instructors who have flown the F4, B1, B2, B52, F8, just to name a few, I am lucky to be working with these guys.

I've got 9.4
grin.gif

Yeah...what's the deal with Clay Lacy? How did this dude get so famous? Saw his fly-in home / Lear on the History channel and have heard his named bandied about on different forums and have seen him on a scab list.

Chunk

I think he became so well known for his Air-to-Air photographs - and his FBO is well known at Van Nuys.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever Dealt with Clay?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the UA scab himself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clay isn't the easiest person to work for from what I've heard.

So I was in GJT today and the DE there told me she just me a woman who is 93 years old out of Tennesse who has over 56,000 hours. She is still instructing!!!!!! WOW

Although no longer with us Mr. Ed Long should capture the all time highest
recorded flight hours at just under 65,000 hours. Most of Mr. Long's hours
came from flying power lines in the South Eastern United States. Based out
of Dannelly Field (MGM) he last flew a very beautiful white and red Super
Cub. BTW, all of the hours are VFR as Mr. Long was not IFR rated.

Ed Long was kind of a local legend in the south. One of my student pilots returned from a solo cross-country to Anniston, Alabama, and excitedly told everyone at the FBO about meeting Ed in Anniston. He was in his Super Cub, as usual.

The lady in Tennessee is probably Evelyn Johnson (spelling?). She might be the FAA's highest-time designated examiner, and has been instructing most of her life. I met her briefly at an awards ceremony for Bill Kershner. Both live in Tennessee.

At some point in the next month, I should hit the 10,000-hour mark in my logbook. (This will probably occur over Lower Bugwater, Montana after being called out by crew scheduling at 3:40 in the morning - but I wasn't going to mention that.) Logically, I recognize that reaching the 10,000-hour mark means nothing, but it's still kind of cool anyway. As they say, the "most important hour is the NEXT one".

Happy Flying,
FFFI

Back