High altitude chamber

E_Dawg

I think this has been asked before; both my instructor and I want to participate in the training program. Anyone done it before? How do I sign up (I'm assuming I call the FSDO)? Anyone know where the closest place is in Socal? What's it like? Is there a fee?

Thanks for all info!

That's what I was thinking ( the military). It's my understanding that SOME military bases have such a program.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

R2F

Alot of Air Force bases have altitude chambers. I did it at Andrews AFB in DC last winter. It is well worth the money, which was about $40. Remember, eat Mexican food the night before you go
wink.gif

Beale AFB just north of Sacramento does chamber rides for civilian pilots, and I read somewhere that NAS North Island in San Diego has a chamber as well, though I haven't had much luck verifying that. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

I am signed up for an upcoming one at Shaw AFB. They do it at FAA in OK city and they also have limited times/locations at USAF facilities.

You have to register thorough the FAA at OK city (not the individual USAF base) and it costs $50. These people can register you and tell you about available locations & times:

Larry Boshears, AAM-400
larry.boshears@faa.gov
405-954-4837

You have to register about a month in advance.

It has classroom and chamber portions. The list says they can keep you out of the chamber for the following items: "colds & upper respiratory infections; intestinal tract problems; diarrhea; taking medications such as antihistamines, antibiotics, sedatives, or diuretics; SCUBA diving within the last 24 hours; beards; late arrival."

I've done the LPC three times. Good training. Once @ NAS Pensacola, twice @ NAS/MCAS Miramar. North Island does not have one. Call the base operator @ Miramar and ask for Aviation Physiology.

[ QUOTE ]
Who's up for a game of "Patty Cake" at 20,000?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you like the helo dunker?

Overheard in the altitude chamber: "You gotta perform flatus, son, or you're going to explode!"

I almost passed out from laughing...

[ QUOTE ]
UND has a high altitude chamber.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have to let you guys know how that is. I am in that class starting the 25th of August. I hear it is a really fun class that you get a lot out of.

[ QUOTE ]
How'd you like the helo dunker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved it! I went through the helo dunker, dilbert dunker and the high altitude chamber on several occasions. The last time I went in the altitude chamber was in Okinawa and my patty cake partner was an Air Force O-6, I ended up smacking him in the face.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Overheard in the altitude chamber: "You gotta perform flatus, son, or you're going to explode!"

I almost passed out from laughing...

[/ QUOTE ]

We were told to do the "ole one cheek sneak!"

Hey Iruppert.

Are you just starting up there. I'll be a freshman up there next year. Cant wait.

Tom

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Iruppert.

Are you just starting up there. I'll be a freshman up there next year. Cant wait.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

I started last fall and I'll be a senior in December so I am almost done. Can't wait for that. I am sick of school.

It's always fun to get kicked in the head by the person in front of you, while you're trying to egress!
mad.gif

Other than that, it's always fun to do refresher training in the pool for a day.

Back