High Alt Icing

We were in a CJ3 and had a thick layer of ice build-up at FL430 through the top of a cloud we couldn't get around at our TOD. The problem was it was too cold to pop the boots on the tail.

As for the engine probes, I know the Hawker 800 and the Challenger 604 both need the cowl heat on to heat the T2 probes.
the LR45 is that way, I can’t remember the 31….might have been on the regular probe switch

There's at least one Beechjet crew, (and I think two or three) who can verify that you can flame out the engines by flying through the tops of CBs without the engine heaters on. IMS, one of them dead-sticked it in. I think the others got at least one relit.

Way out on the edge of my already shaky systems-knowledge, due to Halfheimerzs, but I think this stopped when they put fuel heaters on the XPs.

There's at least one Beechjet crew, (and I think two or three) who can verify that you can flame out the engines by flying through the tops of CBs without the engine heaters on. IMS, one of them dead-sticked it in. I think the others got at least one relit.

Way out on the edge of my already shaky systems-knowledge, due to Halfheimerzs, but I think this stopped when they put fuel heaters on the XPs.
Step one. Don't fly a beechjet.

Step B. See step 1.

My understanding was always that it was essentially impossible to pick up icing at temps below -40C. I’ve personally never witnessed it below around -30C, and even that was rare.

We were in a CJ3 and had a thick layer of ice build-up at FL430 through the top of a cloud we couldn't get around at our TOD. The problem was it was too cold to pop the boots on the tail.

As for the engine probes, I know the Hawker 800 and the Challenger 604 both need the cowl heat on to heat the T2 probes.

Don't know about them all, but in at least a good handful of biz jets the same "engine ice" switch turns on BOTH the electricity to heat the PT probes and the bleed air to heat the engine inlets (I assume that's what you mean by "cowl heat".) In that type of arrangement, you either get both or neither; There is no way to turn on only the probes or only the inlets.

I am confused. Icing at 450 AND clouds so thick you could barely see the wings? Are you sure you didn't fly right through the center of a giant CB?
That would be a good guess. However, ship's radar was showing nothing of the sort, at least right below us or to about 30 miles either side of the track.

Don't know about them all, but in at least a good handful of biz jets the same "engine ice" switch turns on BOTH the electricity to heat the PT probes and the bleed air to heat the engine inlets (I assume that's what you mean by "cowl heat".) In that type of arrangement, you either get both or neither; There is no way to turn on only the probes or only the inlets.
Yes, the Hawker has electrically heated probes and the Challenger has bleed heated probes controlled by the Engine anti-ice in the former and Cowl anti-ice in the later.

I believe all of the Citation 500 series with the JT-15's have the fan bullet and T1 heated any time the engine is running.

Interesting reads. I can't find anything about the final outcome/solution.

Back