Hey Flight Instructors ...

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone had questions in flight such as "When can I start descending?"

===
Yeah, but the question is what do you do to remedy the situation. I think the answer is what sets the good instructor apart from the instructor who is just in there only to build time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahah don't tell anyone, but one time I completely forgot to descend to the airport.

The instructor let me do it, ATC said 'ummm... are you going to descend?!'. I had to do a 360 to get down...

Needless to say, I haven't forgotten once in the week since then!

What are you trying to insinuate Ophir? That because an occasional student arrives to a lesson unprepared that I'm a bad instructor who's only interested in building time?

Care to share any advice with us then on how to deal with such students?

[ QUOTE ]
What are you trying to insinuate Ophir? That because an occasional student arrives to a lesson unprepared that I'm a bad instructor who's only interested in building time?

Care to share any advice with us then on how to deal with such students?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you what I do with my (cello) students. If they are 15 minutes late, I leave. I still charge them.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll tell you what I do with my (cello) students. If they are 15 minutes late, I leave. I still charge them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's different with music instruction, because the teacher is often interrupting his own practice time (for upcoming performances, or for his own lessons that he's taking) in order to teach a lesson.
I don't sense that flight instructors have this situation, where a part of their job forces them to learn new material - either because they're also students themselves, or they have to perform at a certain number of faculty recitals each year.
It seems like you're a flight student until you have your instructor ratings, and then you go out and teach - and you're no longer a student. The only specific thing pushing you to keep learning new material after that point (as far as I can tell) is the pride you have for your work.
Am I wrong, instructors?
(Thank you for all the posts, everyone)

The amount of learning you do as an instructor is immense. I'm not just talking about the "bookwork", but about other incidental types of learning, Such as how to work and get along with people, work as team, being a good PIC..... and the list could go on forever. It's excellent preparation for that eventual airline job.
And of course, the most important thing you learn is that you don't know sh*t. Even as a 1000 hour pilot, I've already come to the realization that not only is there is so much more to learn about aviation, but probably more thenI I could absorb in a lifetime!

[ QUOTE ]
And of course, the most important thing you learn is that you don't know sh*t.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word!
cool.gif
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And of course, the most important thing you learn is that you don't know sh*t.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word!
cool.gif
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding there. I still run into stuff I haven't seen and learn things I either didn't know or haven't experienced. When I stop doing any of the above, it'll then be time to hang up the spurs.

Obviously everyone said study but I try to give specific reading or assignment for each lesson and keep assigning it till they do it (annoying, huh).

Always tried to get my students backseat, it is free and good to watch what is going on without fighting the controls or radio. You get to see the big picture and gain a greater understanding. Plus I try to get them to go with a different instructor for a broader exposure, there is more than one way to skin a fish and fly a plane.

I also recommend chair flying the procedures (after they are introduced), so you work on your technique when you are flying not guessing when to remove power or guessing what is the bank angle.

PTS...PTS...PTS...PTS...PTS

Back