Hernia Surgery

WMostellar

I'm sitting home after Double-Hernia Surgery yesterday.

Has anyone had it recently and what was your recovery like: time off, recommendations, etc.?

At least now I have an excuse to lurk on the forum(s).

My brother had a hernia fixed (laparoscopic) a few years back. He was home just over 2 weeks. He couldn't do any heavy lifting for like nearly two months though and he is /was in very good shape. But his job is pretty physical too. He was very careful when he did return to work. I think like all surgeries and the type of surgery (method and how extensive) recoup times really vary. Just don't push it. You feel any pain, stop. What you should do however is not lay around too much. Your muscles go to crap quickly. Get up and walk a bit as much as possible, even down the block when you are up to it. You want to move as much as possible without overdoing it. Also, whenever you need to cough or sneeze, put your hand over the area and press it/hold it in. That helps a lot. I know the first few days, he was walking well just kinda shuffling slowly, but that is normal. he just made sure he kept moving and increased it as the days went by. Try eating plenty of fiber too to keep the plumbing happy. Hope you feel better soon. Don't over do it, keep moving as you can and just let it heal.

Thanks - trying to avoid the pain medicine as much as possible.

Walking sure does hurt right now - it's only been 24 hours though.

Thanks - trying to avoid the pain medicine as much as possible.

Walking sure does hurt right now - it's only been 24 hours though.
Yeah too soon. It will take 2 or 3 more days before you get out of shuffle mode. Sleeping in the barkalounger if you have one might be easier to get in and out of than your bed for a few days too. Hope you feel better soon. Take the meds at night so you can sleep as well as possible and when the pain is bad. You can wean off them okay. I hate pain meds but after a surgery , man it's give me drugs!!!!! lol

I had a laproscopic hernia surgery a few years ago. The first week was brutal. I wasnt very mobile and having an allergy to narcotic pain meds, I was stuck taking Motrin 800 which did very little for the pain. At two weeks I was feeling much better. I usually try to stay away from heavy lifting of any sort anyway so that part wasn't too hard ;). Take the pain meds. No reason to endure the pain if you dont have to. Trust me, the Motrin wont cut it.

Back