Here we go again....

Airdale

Seriously...if this isn't a damn good enough reason to go back to regulation, I don't know what is. Yet, lets all line up for a job flying 73's cuz its cool yo!1!1!1!!!111!!!1!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30945230/?GT1=43001

$9-a-seat airline targets smaller markets
JetAmerica to service cities it thinks larger carriers have left behind

NEWARK, N.J. - A new low-cost airline will begin serving mid-sized U.S. cities that it thinks larger carriers have left behind.

Clearwater, Fla.-based JetAmerica said 34 nonstop passenger flights a week will start July 13 at Toledo, Ohio; South Bend, Ind.; Melbourne, Fla.; Newark, N.J.; Minneapolis and Lansing, Mich. Twenty-eight flights start or end at Newark Liberty International Airport. The carrier will add six more flights — from Toledo to Minneapolis — starting Aug. 14.

JetAmerica is targeting small and midsize cities like Lansing, which has seen the number of daily flights at its Capital Region International Airport fall from 35 to 12 the past five years. The decline is part of a national trend that has seen airfares increase at those airports as daily flights have decreased.

Story continues below ↓

Damn it!!!!

128347587844687500fail.jpg

Over under of 150 days after the first revenue flight until operations cease.

PM for paypal address. Haha

I'm curious how the public will view this sort of operation considering the heat that regionals are getting.

Skybus part Deux needs to go.

I'm curious how the public will view this sort of operation considering the heat that regionals are getting.

Skybus part Deux needs to go.

"The public" will love it. They don't give a crap about flying in duct tape tubes if it gets the masses around for $3...
Money rules and thats all the customer has (or does not have) to offer...

Notice there was nothing about attracting the best pilots and compensating them accordingly all while offering $9 seats to Florida.

All the general public sees is "OMG! $9 seats! I'm going!" even though it might be the best crew that $9's will buy on a first generation Tupolev 154 full of MEL's.

"OMG $9 seats. Nevermind everything else, I'm goin'! The government wouldn't allow an unsafe operation, right? RIGHT! :sarcasm:"

Notice there was nothing about attracting the best pilots and compensating them accordingly all while offering $9 seats to Florida.

All the general public sees is "OMG! $9 seats! I'm going!" even though it might be the best crew that $9's will buy on a first generation Tupolev 154 full of MEL's.

"OMG $9 seats. Nevermind everything else, I'm goin'! The government wouldn't allow an unsafe operation, right? RIGHT! :sarcasm:"

Guess I am not the only one screaming to high heaven about stuff like this - huh? :banghead: I think it's almost time to inform the press with preliminary crash explanations - so they are ready for what is about to hit the fan!

Good airlines have safety departments, maintenance, customer service you can reach, blah blah blah and that all costs money. If someone wanted to do my roof for $9, I'd tell them to get off my freaking property before I brought out the NHM-61 Sportster.

But they're offering to give me a ride from point-A to point-B for the same? People are idiots and don't rationally think about what they're really getting.

Just wait to see what we'll get when/if the cabotage laws get axed.

I'm pissed that the media, who are very interested that the FO in the Colgan accident only made $21G's a year, hasn't made the discovery that you're certainly not going to be able to pay pilots much either at $9.

Good airlines have safety departments, maintenance, customer service you can reach, blah blah blah and that all costs money. If someone wanted to do my roof for $9, I'd tell them to get off my freaking property before I brought out the NHM-61 Sportster.

But they're offering to give me a ride from point-A to point-B for the same? People are idiots and don't rationally think about what they're really getting.

I'm pissed that the media, who are very interested that the FO in the Colgan accident only made $21G's a year, hasn't made the discovery that you're certainly not going to be able to pay pilots much either at $9.

Makes sense. I try to approach this from outside the 121 cockpit and usually people do not hesitate to tell me that I cannot speak for the 121 crowd because "I have not walked a mile in their shoes".

What fails to enter my head is this:

1. History shows that such airlines do not last long.
2. Pilots & Crews are well aware of what they are getting into.
3. Customers are, but can't really be that blind...
4. The airline will not suffer a lack of apps, they'll be fully staffed in no time.

This all seems to be catering to our "instant gratification, everything has a price, nothing has a value" attitude we have fostered for so long. We can clearly see it ain't working, why are we continuing down this path? Insanity? Seriously, we just joked about missing earpiece connectors with a $199 customer trying to milk the system, what are you going to say to a $9 Pax? I dunno, I'd probably get fired for a slightly violent fallout involving the stolen shoe of some FA and a customer running for his life.

I wonder if this airline will "employ" PFJ & PFT crews (including unemployed CA's looking for a new shot) all around? Gulfstream Academy? ATP? Serious question!

I think we should be doing more to directly educate the public in cases like this. The public just assumes that the government will ensure a safe, compliant operation.

Memories of 737 hull inspections, and MD-80 wiring bundle AD's come to mind.

Gee, which 'super safe' carriers were those?

The public is sheep. If we don't tell them the truth, nobody will.

I think we should be doing more to directly educate the public in cases like this. The public just assumes that the government will ensure a safe, compliant operation.

Memories of 737 hull inspections, and MD-80 wiring bundle AD's come to mind.

Gee, which 'super safe' carriers were those?

The public is sheep. If we don't tell them the truth, nobody will.

Thats a bit of a catch-22. If people see that even the pilots are scared of safety, they will stop flying for the "safe" companies, when that happens they will lose revenue. This will cause a loss of jobs and further cut corners. Then the cycle will continue.

Ah, so they've discovered the secret. Naming your airline after another airline that failed is a sure fire shot to success. Just look at the list:

Skybus
Pan Am
Braniff
Air South...

Oh wait, those airlines all failed when they were re-launched, didn't they?

Thats a bit of a catch-22. If people see that even the pilots are scared of safety, they will stop flying for the "safe" companies, when that happens they will lose revenue. This will cause a loss of jobs and further cut corners. Then the cycle will continue.

Perhaps. You have to consider, however, that these small communities that buy tickets on airlines like Skybus or JetAmerica or whatever might not have been flying anyhow.

At $9 a pop, you'll see somebody come out of the woodwork to fly that wouldn't normally. It's a niche market. Those that can afford to pay a reasonable fare will continue doing so- they'd never have flown the $9 outfit anyhow. Wrong location.

Back