Here is the old jetcareers site

Covered in another thread, but if you do a search for that, you'll get to see the pre-domain name site!
smile.gif

Funny story about that, the guy who took the picture told me to have a seat in the captain's seat.

I was like "Umm, come on Dave, I'm not a captain!"

But the photo came out pretty good so I posted it on the early website. I got a bunch of "monday morning quarterbacks" emailing me about how I shouldn't be sitting in the captain's seat if I'm not a captain, so I used my image software to horizontally invert the photo so it seemed as if I'm in the FO's seat.

Then another group of "monday morning quarterbacks" said "Hey, that photo is reversed because on the instrument panel, blah blah blah... and your watch is on your right arm, are you a lefty? blah blah blah..."

Can't win!
smile.gif

Hah, did you see the Bret Favre monday morning quarterback commercial... hillarious
grin.gif
.... and then again, perhaps that is what you are refering to
wink.gif

I am!

My brain would explode without my watch on my right arm.

<topic hijack nearly complete>

[ QUOTE ]
Hah, did you see the Bret Favre monday morning quarterback commercial... hillarious
grin.gif
.... and then again, perhaps that is what you are refering to
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup!

Right behind the Jack In The Box commercials in terms of hilarity.

Wow jetcareers was mentioned in "Airliners mag" didn't know that. You can't beat that kinda press. I didn't know that Jetcareers was so "mainstream". Figured it was more or less a cult site.

Matthew

We've been mentioned in:

Airliners Magazine

The US Airways in flight magazine

Scottsdale Tribune

East Valley Tribune

The Weather Channel: Atmospheres

Some "now defunct" airline career magazine which I can't remember the name of.

A California-based periodical, I can't remember the name of that either.

Flying magazine, I think, gave me "the finger" probably because I was fairly vocal over the types of advertising they accept.

I tend to step on a lot of toes I guess!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I tend to step on a lot of toes I guess!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Must hurt when it comes to looking for new advertisers lol.

But seriously I stopped reading FLYING long ago too. AIRWAYS is the magazine I swear by.

Matthew

I stopped reading almost all of them. Waste of money. I didn't renew my AOPA membership, so I don't get that one anymore. Flying is one big advertisement, so I didn't renew that one. Used to get Pilot Journal, but it only comes out when they feel like it and its mucho expensive, so I dumped that one too. Flying magazines for the most part suck. I don't want to go flying around in bug smashers all day, and then come home and read about some 172 with color radar and full deice that some jackass dumped waaaaay too much money into. I get Pro Pilot, and thats about the only one that I'll read anymore. The rest aren't worth my time...I'd rather read the FAR/AIM.

[/rant]
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Must hurt when it comes to looking for new advertisers lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

Some are way too friggen sensitive and they probably couldn't take the heat anyway. I figure if you can't stand up for yourself, put out a good product and work heavily on issues that people may have with your school, you honestly don't belong on Jetcareers.com. Perhaps some other aviation website, but not this one!

Considering that 90% of my current users would engage me in debate in a New York minute, I like the 'trial by fire' approach because it keeps everyone honest.

The world of advertising in general is so backwords, and has been for as long as I remember..

Television is a good indicator of this, with entire networks content being arranged and modified around the network's multimillion dollar advertisers. The sponsors have a large control of what goes on on the major networks.

There is no integrity with advertising anymore (if there was ever), if you have the cash, you have the ad, and you get Flying magazine which is half filled with garbage ads.

Can you really blame those network/magazines? No, not really; advertising a great source of income for them.

This makes me applaud Doug for being so selective with the products he allows advertised on JetCareers
cool.gif

(I'm about 90% asleep right now so I hope that post looks okay, LOL)

Sounded good to me!

I've actually turned away a lot of fairly lucrative ad offers from companies that I really didn't have a lot of respect for.

I'm pretty much on a first name basis with all of my advertisers and are very good about answering questions I have and/or addressing concerns. I really wouldn't have it any other way.

But click on some ads to let them know you're out there. I don't get paid any more for ad clicks, but it's a "cookie-free" way of saying "Thanks for supporting Jetcareers!"
smile.gif

Well, that depends. Obviously, you can pander to your advertisers, and then you'll end up with a product that nobody buys, nobody respects, and that's bad for business in the long run.

Or you can show a little self respect, and say, this is the audience I deliver. You want it? Then let's talk. But respect that audience. Know that they're smart and that they want editorial independence and that they don't want you to write the stories/produce the news/create the shows for them. And if you want someone who will • out their content for you, go to the other network/publication/website.

You may lose business in the short run but in the end, you will have a respected product that advertisers will know the value of.

Trust me, I do this for a living.

[ QUOTE ]
Considering that 90% of my current users would engage me in debate in a New York minute, I like the 'trial by fire' approach because it keeps everyone honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 90%? Don't be so modest!
cool.gif
grin.gif
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Or you can show a little self respect, and say, this is the audience I deliver. You want it? Then let's talk. But respect that audience. Know that they're smart and that they want editorial independence and that they don't want you to write the stories/produce the news/create the shows for them. And if you want someone who will • out their content for you, go to the other network/publication/website.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much the message I try to convey. Since I was an air science grad, I just can't put it into all of those pretty $5 words like you can!
smile.gif

(See, now I just p!ssed off ERAU!)

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped reading almost all of them. Waste of money. I didn't renew my AOPA membership, so I don't get that one anymore. Flying is one big advertisement, so I didn't renew that one. Used to get Pilot Journal, but it only comes out when they feel like it and its mucho expensive, so I dumped that one too. Flying magazines for the most part suck. I don't want to go flying around in bug smashers all day, and then come home and read about some 172 with color radar and full deice that some jackass dumped waaaaay too much money into

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard that. I particularly dislike the stories by the guys who brag about the equipment on their planes and how they dodged this or that WX. "Well, I could see on my new $10,000 stormscope this was going to be hairy, so I had to really do some serious flying in my brand new Baron." Please!

Back