Here comes trouble

"Nah man. I'm driving to work, hold weekends off. No matter what happens, the Atlanta base will always be here."

GET OUTTA MY EMAIL!

Sorry, I got triggered because I would get people that would write these long, drawn-out emails about recall versus staying at another carrier, I'd try to work them through it and at the end, would say something very similar to what you wrote above.

Then when the ship hit the iceberg, they're writing again wanting me to wave some magic wand and grant them a job.

Just curious, why are you so tied down to NYC at such a young age?

Family reasons. It's gonna be a ~6 hr flight (assuming nonstop options). Versus current situation which is just drive. If I move it's a 6 hr flight, then feasibility for flying home is at best twice a year (maybe 3 max). Not to mention finding decent places to live in the SF/LA area and the general fact that CA is just a lunatic state for taxes.

I mean you and I both flew with plenty of guys who bypassed recalls from United, American, USAir, and Delta to be lifers at ASA. People gonna do what they are gonna do.
"Nah man. I'm driving to work, hold weekends off. No matter what happens, the Atlanta base will always be here."

Are you guys serious? You guys are talking about ASA, the CRJ-2/7/900 airline in ATL? Pilots furloughed from the 3 LEGACY carriers refused to go back and stay flying a RJ in ATL? Wow, that's pretty bad and messed up. ATL as a base closed for ASA right? Did those individuals still have bypass recall rights after the base closure? Or did they give up their mainline gig altogether?

Family reasons. It's gonna be a ~6 hr flight (assuming nonstop options). Versus current situation which is just drive. If I move it's a 6 hr flight, then feasibility for flying home is at best twice a year (maybe 3 max). Not to mention finding decent places to live in the SF/LA area and the general fact that CA is just a lunatic state for taxes.

Are you guys serious? You guys are talking about ASA, the CRJ-2/7/900 airline in ATL? Pilots furloughed from the 3 LEGACY carriers refused to go back and stay flying a RJ in ATL? Wow, that's pretty bad and messed up. ATL as a base closed for ASA right? Did those individuals still have bypass recall rights after the base closure? Or did they give up their mainline gig altogether?
I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of them are at 9E now since the reopening of the ATL base

That sounds like a fantastic way to become a lifer at a regional during the next downturn. The regionals exist for one reason, to get you to an airline that is not a regional. Going backwards is stupid.

Some people just hate commuting. Everybody is different. One man’s stupid is another man’s regained sanity.

Congrats man. Commuting cross-country must suck, perhaps use that TPIC to look around for an East Coast shop in the next few years, if that will make you more happy. Good luck!

No SHT? People are leaving Alaska for Envoy? It's insane how dumb people can actually be. As far as AA is concerned, I spent about 5 hours talking work rules with a 5yr AA Bus FO and I wouldn't leave NK for AA ( schedule flexibility is king ) let alone leave AS for a regional in hopes to get to AA. Besides all of that, congrats on the new seat.
Someone people see things some way, others see it others. Lots of scheduling flexibility at AA in large bases.

ZW64x2b.gif

@Derg , am I a LAX320A ? Is that how you say it? I'm just trying to get my nomenclature right for when Delta buys us. ;)

This was a displaced upgrade as a result of a base closure. The company did swallow the extra CA spots and no one got downgraded. For me it's definitely a bittersweet moment to lose a base and then be based on the opposite coast, but it is the first chance to be a CA and get some TPIC. I'm also at a crossroads in terms of what to do. Given my age, I still think it's worth trying to leave for the big 3 so that is where my sights are still set for now. I just hope it happens sooner rather than later before the golden cuffs get tight at Alaska. For the time being the plan is to commute and let the SLI come out in September and see what further aircraft/base shifting they may do. The Bus fleet is supposed to take over 80% of the west coast up/down flying so rumors are it's gonna open up in SEA. No point in moving to LA only to find out I'm losing my seat because the Buses are shifting to SEA, and then face a displacement and move again. End of 2019 December is when all the shifting should be done so by then things should look a lot more clear. We get 2 yrs to use the moving benefits so there's time. The other advantage of holding off on a move is if I get a call at the big 3 in the next 12 months, that would avoid moving twice across the country (which btw, I have already done before).

On the other hand, the company is expressing interest in alternate lines of flying (virtual basing) for New York. I could hold these as FO, but as a CA it's probably unlikely but we shall see. I'll put in for those if/when they come. There are just so many moving parts right now and unknowns that I don't want to make any physical moves (or rash ones) until things settle down. SLI will be big and so will any potential 'Bus base shifting on the west coast. Personally I see SFO Buses moving to SEA and open a base, and 737s come down to SFO for a base. If I get a call at the big 3 in the next 12 months, I'm gone. I think that's the career plan at the moment. Today I'm 2nd youngest CA at AS and would retire #3, but with 31 yrs left in the career I would leave for the big 3's NY base. For now I'm gonna concentrate on the upgrade training and get through that first.
Just move. Bite the bullet and do it.

Just move. Bite the bullet and do it.

Not right away but I will have to at some point. Still gonna keep my current place and rent it out on a year lease, and sign a one year lease wherever I go in California. The goal is still to try and get to the big 3. The age allows a startover, but that changes the longer time goes on.

That sounds like a fantastic way to become a lifer at a regional during the next downturn. The regionals exist for one reason, to get you to an airline that is not a regional. Going backwards is stupid.
That guy is an idiot.

Seriously, does nobody remember the great recession? Does nobody think airlines will furlough again? Because they will. Mergers will happen. Careers will be destroyed. And through it all, guys are bailing to Envoy from Alaska to take part in a flow that took 18 years to produce results at Eagle.

Don't mean to poop on your thread, man, but really, enjoy Alaska. You're in a position a lot of people would do lewd things for.
People are weird... This place has become a bit toxic in the last couple of years, with the "we're #5!" rhetoric and all. It appears that some people lose sight of the fact that if you're #5, there are only 4 jobs that are better.

But if they start shrinking the SEA 737 base, there will be much gnashing of teeth.

Congrats on the upgrade!

2sag2e.jpg

Bristol Global Mobility................................... Contacted.

Current home.............................. On the market to rent out. No way am I selling this baby.

Moving to California..... Again............. Priceless. For everything else, there's MasterCard.

Brutal. Sorry man. At least you can afford to keep your house. If I've discovered anything its that things will probably change again.

Brutal. Sorry man. At least you can afford to keep your house. If I've discovered anything its that things will probably change again.

True. The upgrade really changed things from a financial standpoint. I'll keep my current home and rent it out. Best case scenario, another merger may lead me back to a NYC base. Worse case, this place continues to act as real estate property investment. Anyway, I'm just taking it in stride with an attitude that I've already moved once to CA before and this is the kinda like the same thing except SOCAL not NORCAL. The main thing that sucks besides from distance apart from family is the fact you have to start all over again in terms of friends, contacts, hang out groups, etc.

Back