Help with Getting Currency

Wm226

Hi All,

I have a relative that needs currency. He has not flown since the mid 80s. He holds a Commercial-Single Engine Rating. From my understanding, he would just need a new medical and flight review (with three takeoffs and landings).

Also, how would he get his new [plastic card] certificates?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I have a relative that needs currency. He has not flown since the mid 80s. He holds a Commercial-Single Engine Rating. From my understanding, he would just need a new medical and flight review (with three takeoffs and landings).

Thanks!

A flight review for him will be extensive due to the fact the entire airspace system is different than what he learned. Also the regs(91 and 61) have been revamped a little since he last flew. If that was me I would plan a few hours of ground in addition to some flight training.

As for his certificates his paper ones will do just fine. I liked how cheesy my paper ones were because no one would believe you were a pilot. I had paper ones until my CA upgrade. My FI cert is still paper, then again it expired 7 years ago and I didn't renew it so its a momento now.

Expect an in depth BFR as stated. Airspace has totally changed and he'll have some serious catching up to do.

A new certificate can be had from the FAA for a whopping $2.

I would have him review some online courses or purchase one of the updated books ala JEPP or something and start reviewing. Of course as previously stated, I would suggest scheduling a few lessons with a CFI to get up to speed and get a BFR tucked away.

Expect an in depth BFR as stated. Airspace has totally changed and he'll have some serious catching up to do.

A new certificate can be had from the FAA for a whopping $2.

Quit calling it a damn BFR! The almighty thought it good to change it to a FR! You guys need to read the regs!:sarcasm:

What I try do with my students that have been away from it for so long is get them to do ALL of the AOPA ASF courses, and then the FAASaftey Team's Flight Review Prep and the TFR/SUA courses. Sometimes you can't get them to do it, and it just costs them more in the long run.

Hi All,

Thanks!

I'd have your relative look at the AOPA "Pilots' Guide to Getting Back Into Flying". It covers any significant changes since the 19070s. Lot's of info and some good articles!

http://www.aopa.org/learntofly/getback.html

I had an 8 year stretch with nothing but BFRs in my logbook. (They were still called that then). It all cam back pretty quick, 2 or 3 flights.

I would be sure to stress the importance of TFRs, which did not really exist then, but are suddenly a big deal VFR.

Getting instrument current will mean relearning most of it, since so much has changed.

You know his paper ones are still perfectly legal to use to fly (once he gets all of the other things you've mentioned done.)

He doesn't need to get a plastic certificate unless he really wants one.

Quit calling it a damn BFR! The almighty thought it good to change it to a FR! You guys need to read the regs!:sarcasm:

What I try do with my students that have been away from it for so long is get them to do ALL of the AOPA ASF courses, and then the FAASaftey Team's Flight Review Prep and the TFR/SUA courses. Sometimes you can't get them to do it, and it just costs them more in the long run.

Ive never had a BFR so I wouldn't know that it changed....:cwm27::sarcasm:

He doesn't need to get a plastic certificate unless he really wants one.

Untrue.

The FAA released its final rule on Feb. 28, 2008, mandating that all pilots upgrade to a plastic pilot certificate by March 31, 2010. Plastic certificates are deemed more counterfeit-resistant. All newly issued plastic certificates will automatically include the English Proficient endorsement.

I know you weren't the only one posting this, but hit quote on your post. Don't take it as an attack. :)

Back