Help Starting a Career!

zimmerbz

I am about to graduate from Miami University in December. I am a Mass Communication and Marketing Major. So far I have been interviewing for various sales and marketing jobs. All throughout my life I have been obsessed with flying. Yet with athletics and choosing a school to play baseball, I was not able to start my first love, which is flying. I have dreamed about being a pilot ever since I was a kid. When people see me that havent seen me in a while, they ask what airline I fly for ect. Yet with that being said, I have absolutely zero experience flying an actual plane. And after interviewing for these jobs, I think im starting to realize that this is not the right career path for me, and that being a pilot would better suit me. My questions are: is it too late to start a career in flying with hopes to fly for an airline? is it possible to start this with no experience? how long will it take? What steps do i need to take to obtain this? how much will it cost? and how do I go about telling my parents that I want to do this? Please help me out. This is a dream for me, and a job in aviation seems like it is the only thing i'll be happy with!
Brad

ummm....Brad? did you read the website? all of your questions are answered in the pages and within the forum... We'll help you with whatever questions you can't find within the site!! most everyone here has been in the position of "where do i start" and you'll find a lot of guidance in the forums but you'll understand much better if you read the site and gain that knowledge first...

here's a start... FAQ

He's probably like me and just wants to be given answers instead of looking for them, lol.
cool.gif
Good luck with what ever you decide to do
smile.gif

Oh i know... that's why i'm trying to promote reading the site first - then feel free to ask us any questions he has he hasn't been able to find...

cuz when it comes to being a commercial pilot or performing your first solo flight - you have to depend on your own brain to find the correct answer...no one will be there to answer it for you... know what i mean?!
grin.gif

Yup, I know. Good thing I only have to be a mom. No one asks you if you know what you are doing Haha.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, I know. Good thing I only have to be a mom. No one asks you if you know what you are doing Haha.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is **SO** much I could do with that line.... but I have a nasty cold and my brain hurts enough already

Yah, I know, and it would only bring you a moment of evil happiness and hurt my feelings so.....:)

[ QUOTE ]
Yah, I know, and it would only bring you a moment of evil happiness and hurt my feelings so.....:)

[/ QUOTE ]

only a moment? :p you under-rate my abilities! heh

Hey Brad, recently I was in almost the same exact position as you. I graduated last year with a degree in communications with an advertising emphasis. After having many successful and unsuccessful interviews, I started realizing that this might not be for me. I now have a job in PR and marketing but I don't want to do this forever. Anyway I have been progressively looking into my options of being a professional pilot. I also have zero time and it has been a very difficult decision, and after talking with a multitude of schools (some honest, some not so honest) I have decided to go for it. I am very excited and honestly a little nervous but I am happy that I am going to pursue something that I really want to do. Well I wish you good luck and PM me if you want to know anymore about my search of schools.

Hey Brad,
Miami University hmmm....how about them huricanes! Like everyone said before me check out the main page menu, all of it had loads of info (easy reading to). Anyhow, welcome to the JC Familly!

[ QUOTE ]
Visnick: I also have zero time and it has been a very difficult decision, and after talking with a multitude of schools (some honest, some not so honest) I have decided to go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you, crazy? You don't decide to "go for it" with ZERO time. You should spend the $5 to $7k for your PPL, get 60 or so hours at your local FBO - and _then_ decide if piloting is for you. No way to tell that you want to do it for the next 40 years (with the first 15 instructing and eating Ramen) without one minute of time.

Voice of Reason. Sorry, it's not as exciting - but will save you a lot of grief
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What are you, crazy? You don't decide to "go for it" with ZERO time. You should spend the $5 to $7k for your PPL, get 60 or so hours at your local FBO - and _then_ decide if piloting is for you. No way to tell that you want to do it for the next 40 years (with the first 15 instructing and eating Ramen) without one minute of time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good point...

Sorry to give the wrong impression but I did take an discovery flight about six months ago and I have also been reading anything I can get my hands on for the past year. A couple of friends have recently graduated from UND and have offered much insight. I am definitely aware of the many negatives that are involved with pursuing a career in aviation. So like all of you I am willing to endure these hardships to be able to fly for a living, even if that means flight instructing for the next decade. Anyway thanks for the concern.

Back