Help on PPL Written

AA

I am training for my ppl at a cessna pilot center. I am getting towards the end of my training and begining to take practice written tests. I am not doing to hot on the practices. Its wierd though because I know everything my instructor has ever tought me. I have to make above an 80 on the practices to take the real one and I havent yet, the closest I have gotten is a 78. So is there anything I can do to improve my scores. I have a Gleims book, but I just havent been able to do very well. So, ANY help would be great guys, THANKS!!

Hello AA,
Don't worry, you will do fine on the written exam. From what you said, it looks like you have done a couple of practice exams. I would suggest that you look at which parts you missed. When I was preparing for my written, I was weak on specific topics and I made usre I studied those.
Also, it helped me to break up the test into different parts, such as weather, airspace, navigation, regulations etc and study those individually. By doing this, you won't feel overwhelmed. I managed to miss only 1 question whne I took the real exam by studying this way.
Hope this helps!

Mahesh

also for the 20$ or so, you can download the dauntless quiz software. www.faatest.com it is nice to just practice electronically, like flashcards almost.

Also things like the cross country questions take 30 min to work out. Just memorize which are the right answers and skip doing all the paperwork. that will take a huge load off your mind.

To add to Eagle:
Sporty.com has a great practice test area for the PPL and Instrument writtens. they have a thing called the study budy where you can choose which categories you want to study. It will ask you the questions and tell you right away if you answered it right or wrong. you can also take the full practice tests. this was a great help during my actual written. I also went through the Gleim book 2-3 times and highlighted the questions I answered wrong and then went back through and studied those questions. It worked for me I scored a 100% on the written.. good luck man..

Much Agreed with going to sportys. The test are free and they have all of them through commercial. You'll do fine. LEARN the material and not just memorize cause when you take your checkride the DE will ask you to do or know certain things and he won't give you multiple guess choices
smile.gif

GLEIM GLEIM GLEIM!!!! Get the red book!

Using Gleim.. I got a 95% on both my Private and Instrument Written Tests! Good luck!

DeltaASA16

I would look into the Gleim Books and Gleim Software. I used them for my Private, Instrument and Commercial writtens. Scored 97, 97, and 94.

Look into other books like Jeppesen or Rod Machado's book for more detailed information and to actually learn the material. Use the Gleim stuff in final preparation for the test only. If you use Gleim only, you will pass the test, but you will brush over many items that are important to your training without actually understanding the concepts.

Good Luck.

My Algebra Teacher told me this about taking practice Algebra quizes online. She said "Take as many as you can because the more u take the better you improve"

Well guys, I passed it! Not too bad but not too good either. Does the grade you make matter as long as you pass it at all???????????????

Congratulations on passing!

You can expect a more difficult Oral Exam before your checkride if you scored poorly on your written exam. Carefully study the subject areas you missed questions on before you go to meet the examiner. There will be subject codes on the bottom of your Knowledge test report; you can look those up in the back of your gleim book to find out what they mean. Expect the examiner to ask in-depth questions about the subjects you performed poorly on during your written exam.

Congrats on the pass!

The score won't matter beyond your oral exam . . . BUT . . .

I have met a few students who seem to think that it's OK to memorize the answers and not learn the theory or to squeek by with just a few percentage points.

Remember that you are flying planes, here! Why some people think that once they pass they can forget about what they already didn't know is beyond me! Treat the exam as an entry into a really awsome club. Now that you're in, the bar is raised and it's up to you to learn everything. And I meant EVERYTHING! Not to mention that continuing the learning process makes it a lot more fun.

Congrats and rock on!

Alchemy, thats what my instructor has told me. And photo pilot, I agree 110 percent I have not stopped studying what I got right and what I missed yet.

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on the pass!

The score won't matter beyond your oral exam . . . BUT . . .

I have met a few students who seem to think that it's OK to memorize the answers and not learn the theory or to squeek by with just a few percentage points.

[/ QUOTE ]

By all meens, DON'T just memorize the answers, as I guess people haven't seen is that in the September 2003 issue of AOPA Flight Training, the tests have changed. First change, instead of having the exact questions and answers available for all to see, you will see the questions, but they answers will be "shuffled" what was A could now be C. Another change is you will not be able to see in advance the exact questions that require the use of a sectional chart. You can see questions similar to those asked on the test but if you are studying a question using a sectional chart for southern California, you won't see that exact chart on the test, you may see one for western Michigan. So you get the idea. Well now that I have gotten that all out of the way.
CONGRATS on passing!

Back