help me out...

kostcoguy

Hey I just became interested in becoming a commercial pilot. So I have little to no experience with anything on this website. I was wondering if someone could direct me to some online dictionary type thing or someone who would like to define some of all these abbreviations which I don't understand (which is most of them)?
confused.gif

There are so many!

I'm sure we could help if you ask about specific ones...

Like VFR= Visual Flight Rules

IFR= Instrument Flight Rules

The list goes on and on...

When I first became interrested in becomming a professional pilot I read every book and article I could get my hands on dealing with becomming a pilot and aviation in general. (That's what I do when I develop a real interrest for something) Anyway I guess I never had a problem understanding abbbreviations because somewhere along the way I became familliar with them in my reading. If you can find such a dictionary of abbreviations I'm sure it will be helpfull to you, and let us know where you found it as it would be helpfull to many others I'm sure. But in the mean time, I'd recommned you do some reading. There is so much we all have to learn, I find I can never get enough. For starters I'd recommend "Professional Pilot Career Guide" by Robert P Mark. That will help you decide exactly what kind of flying there is out there and how to get started. Good luck and welcome to the club!

There's a book called "The Pilot's Decorder" or something like that. It's a small, but fat, book.

I would check Amazon for it.

Also buy a copy of the FAR/AIM and in the AIM section, there's a section with a LOT of the abbreviations in it.

See that kostcoguy? You've got to memorize all of those.
grin.gif
Just kidding. Man, there are a lot!

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many!
The list goes on and on...

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget
FUBAR
TU

two of my all time favs :p

[ QUOTE ]
FUBAR

[/ QUOTE ]

That's, uh, crosswind technique, right?

Flaps,
Undercarriage,
Brakes off,
Aileron into the wind,
Rudder for centerline.
wink.gif

How about the IFR pre-taxi check:

Clearance
Radios SET
Alitemeter SET
Parking brake OFF

I'd highly recommend buying Rod Machado's private pilot handbook if you want the basic study material before and while you obtain your Private Pilot's license. It's a somewhat humorous book (although many of his stupid jokes are often not understood by late generation young pilots)...but it's pretty humorous anyway. I'd highly recommend studying it to learn all of our "abbreviations".

Good luck!

(I apologize in advance...
smirk.gif
)

I hear Hooter's air is trying to bring a new acronym to aviation:
Time In Terminal

[ QUOTE ]
Time In Terminal

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez.... what a bunch of boobs. err.... I meant JOKERS!!!!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
(I apologize in advance...
smirk.gif
)

Time In Terminal

[/ QUOTE ]

Turbine Inlet Temp. works too...

Back