Help, how do you reconcile these issues?

mekia

Hello everyone,

I am having a personal crisis right now, I'm hoping you can help me out. I start nursing school in 12 days. Before my ATC hopes, my goal was to become a nurse anesthetist. As a nurse anesthetist, I'd have more job security, more job oppertunities, and make more money with less stress (all I have to do is keep 1 person alive on an operatinng table :laff:).

I would really love to become a controller, but it seems the FAA is a complete mess. The application process is annoying, I really dont want to imagine other processes once you get in. I end up asking myself why do I want to do this? Are thing better on the inside? I get the feeling everything is so disjointed.

I have vision issues, and will be getting LASIK to get into OKC. 10 years from now, if I fail a medical exam - I'm fired. I don't want to be 40, and looking someplace to start a career, because I have exhausted this one. I get the feeling, they (the FAA) use what they can, and then you are just thrown aside. It feels like you have more job security working at McDonald's. Is there an appeal process, if you fail the medical? Are you given the chance to correct what ever is wrong?

I was one of those people who were saying "send me anywhere, Alaska, Hawaii or Guam", I just wanted to become a controller. I still want it more than anything, but it does not seem like the smart decision. If you have figured a way to deal with my "little" issues, help me please.

It is strange, I was so excited about this. I take pride in what I do. I wanted to start training and prove to my trainers that I was willing to work, and learn everything they had to teach me. I know that no one owes my anything, I planned on earning it. Please believe my when I say I am not just whinning. I really want this and hope that I am just thinking to much about the situation. I miss that excitment.

Current ATCers, if you had to do it over again, would you still become a controller.

ATLRACON, what do you think? Your honesty is refreshing :D.

Hello everyone,

I am having a personal crisis right now, I'm hoping you can help me out. I start nursing school in 12 days. Before my ATC hopes, my goal was to become a nurse anesthetist. As a nurse anesthetist, I'd have more job security, more job oppertunities, and make more money with less stress (all I have to do is keep 1 person alive on an operatinng table :laff:).

I would really love to become a controller, but it seems the FAA is a complete mess. The application process is annoying, I really dont want to imagine other processes once you get in. I end up asking myself why do I want to do this?

I have vision issues, and will be getting LASIK to get into OKC. 10 years from now, if I fail a medical exam - I'm fired. I don't want to be 40, and looking someplace to start a career, because I have exhausted this one. I get the feeling, they (the FAA) uses what they can, and then you are just thrown aside. You have more job security working at McDonald's.

I was one of those people who were saying "send me anywhere, Alaska, Hawaii or Guam", I just wanted to become a controller. I still want it more than anything, but it does not seem like the smart decision. If you have figured a way to deal with my "little" issues, help me please.

Current ATCers, if you had to do it over again, would you still become a controller.

ATLTRACON, what do you think? Your honesty is refreshing :D.

Just give up now. :bandit:

Hello everyone,

I would really love to become a controller, but it seems the FAA is a complete mess. The application process is annoying, I really dont want to imagine other processes once you get in. I end up asking myself why do I want to do this? Are thing better on the inside Worser...they're Bonkas? I get the feeling everything is so disjointed.

I have vision issues, and will be getting LASIK to get into OKC. 10 years from now, if I fail a medical exam - I'm firedvery same thoughts run through my head every year come flight phys time. I don't want to be 40, and looking someplace to start a career, because I have exhausted this one. I get the feeling, they (the FAA) use what they can, and then you are just thrown aside EXACTLY the day you cannot plug your headset in anymore you are useless to them. It feels like you have more job security working at McDonald's. Is there an appeal process, if you fail the medical very stressful and lengthy? Are you given the chance to correct what ever is wrong sure but it requires a sign off from the FAA flight surgeon?

I was one of those people who were saying "send me anywhere, Alaska, Hawaii or Guam", I just wanted to become a controller. I still want it more than anything, but it does not seem like the smart decision its prob not. If you have figured a way to deal with my "little" issues, help me please.

It is strange, I was so excited about this. I take pride in what I do. I wanted to start training and prove to my trainers that I was willing to work, and learn everything they had to teach me. I know that no one owes my anything, I planned on earning it. Please believe my when I say I am not just whinning. I really want this and hope that I am just thinking to much about the situation. I miss that excitment.

Current ATCers, if you had to do it over again, would you still become a controller. yes I would do it over again, but not if the conditions were what they are now.

I can't tell you what to do, don't know you. You have to sit down and have a talk with yourself and maybe some people who know you really well.

I would do it over again

PS right now, I also don't think you are going to get paid for what your worth

Many, if not all of us, are making a very difficult choice.

I'm 30 units away from graduating college (U.C. Bezerkeley). I also have a reasonable union protected occupation that will be there for the next 30+ years. I'll have to sacrifice both of these to pursue a dream in aviation... I just cancelled my fall registration today.

Even I'm not 100% sure if this is the right decision, but the only thing I have to weigh are the 'knowns', not the 'unknowns'. Every occupation could change dramatically in the next 10+ years.

The 'knowns':
-You must hire before 31
-Receiving an offer could be your once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
-Will you regret not doing this?
-I can always finish college later, if need be.
-I can probably return to my present occupation, worst-case
-I love aviation

The 'unknowns'; no point in even indulging your mind in these ideas:
-Will ATC be contracted?
-Will I fail a medical in the future?
-Will wages go up?
-Will aviation survive future oil prices?
-The medical profession could change too...

It sounds like your nursing thing could also be a limited-time opportunity. Perhaps try to write down the 'known' positives/negatives and see if that helps. You can also go ahead with nursing and still pursue a tentative offer just to see what happens.

Hello everyone,

I would really love to become a controller, but it seems the FAA is a complete mess. The application process is annoying, I really dont want to imagine other processes once you get in. I end up asking myself why do I want to do this? Are thing better on the inside? I get the feeling everything is so disjointed.

I have vision issues, and will be getting LASIK to get into OKC. 10 years from now, if I fail a medical exam - I'm fired. I don't want to be 40, and looking someplace to start a career, because I have exhausted this one. I get the feeling, they (the FAA) use what they can, and then you are just thrown aside. It feels like you have more job security working at McDonald's. Is there an appeal process, if you fail the medical? Are you given the chance to correct what ever is wrong?

Find a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life. What do you WANT to do? Look at more than just the potential earnings. What will make you happy? Only you have the answers.

While being a controller is not what it used to be (this can be said of any aviation-related job right now) these circumstances are cyclical. It will get better at some point. The unknown variable is when.

Chris

If you have to get out of atc for whatever reason, there are other jobs within the agency that you could do like instructing, terps, etc....

-I can always finish college later, if need be.
woah.. i hope you've researched this and gotten all the answers to make sure you CAN come back and finish exactly as you are now....i'd check with your college and see what the cutoff date is for your catalog year. i think you have to change catalog years the longer you stay away and that could mean more classes, more money, more books....longer attendance than if you were to just finish now. you're so close... under that 30 credit mark.

I was a decade student (family medical issues got in the way of graduating on time) and when i came back, i almost (!) had to switch to the most up to date catalog in order to graduate which would have meant 15-20 more credits...but i think i just got lucky somehow.

something to think about. :)

woah.. i hope you've researched this and gotten all the answers to make sure you CAN come back and finish exactly as you are now....i'd check with your college and see what the cutoff date is for your catalog year....

Thank you for the advice.
Yes, actually I've already dropped out before (for 2.5 years during freshman year), and the process to come back is as easy as filling out a form and paying 75 bucks. And the requirements are generally tied to your admission date, not your graduation date.

I think I've been disillusioned with college... for some reason I'm not making friends nor am I happy there (maybe because I'm working all the time!? :crazy:)

woah.. i hope you've researched this and gotten all the answers to make sure you CAN come back and finish exactly as you are now....i'd check with your college and see what the cutoff date is for your catalog year. i think you have to change catalog years the longer you stay away and that could mean more classes, more money, more books....longer attendance than if you were to just finish now. you're so close... under that 30 credit mark.

I was a decade student (family medical issues got in the way of graduating on time) and when i came back, i almost (!) had to switch to the most up to date catalog in order to graduate which would have meant 15-20 more credits...but i think i just got lucky somehow.

something to think about. :)

If I am out for more than 3 years, I have to start over. Also, if I change schools there is a possibility of my courses not transfering.
I am 28, I am thinking about finishing nursing school (1 1/2 - 2 years). In about a year, start the application process over so as soon as I finish nursing school, I can start OKC.

I would really love to become a controller, but it seems the FAA is a complete mess.

What's your definition of complete ?

I'll give you my $.02... if being a controller is something you really want to be then I say you should consider pursuing it. First, in your posts you say you're 28, the age 31 cutoff is something working against you, reapplying in a few years is risky. In 5 months we'll have a new President and regardless who it is the FAA will see a bit of a house cleaning, this can lead to a lot of unknowns. The hiring process can change again, there can be a hiring freeze, etc... a lot can change in a short period of time.

Other than LASIK the FAA won't cost you anything out of pocket. It does get better once you're hired, training can suck for a while but once you reach FPL life does get better. Once you're FPL you can look into school part time, I work with dozens of people who have done this. One of my coworkers and friend just got his law degree from a very good law school. I have gone to school part time and I know of several that have recieved there master or PhD degrees part time while working full time as a controller.

As for failing the medical 10 years down the line you can't worry about things you can't control. We all get nervous about the medicals but it is just part of life. I will say that all of the people I have seen fail medicals over the past decade have landed on their feet one way or another

If I had to do it all over again I probably would... I was hired in a different time but as bad as things were now I would probably still give it a try.

Good Luck

Speaking from experience. I feel very blessed to have had a career I love. The only thing that will be better is retirement in the not too distant future:nana2:

I second all three statements... especially the third one.

The satisfaction that can be gained from doing the job is unlike anything else I have ever done.

Retiring from it is ten times better than all the good things about it combined.

If I had it to do again, based solely on the job, I'd do it again for certain. Back in the dark ages when I was applying for the job, if the things that are going on now were going on then... I probably wouldn't be retired from it.

Back