Help for a regulations class project

Ngrossman

Hey guys,
I'm doing a project for my regulations class on the Negotiated RuleMaking Act
and I'm Suppossed to come up with arguements for and against the act, but im having a hard time coming up with arguements against the act for the simple fact if we didn't have it things like user fees and the like could be passed and we'd neverhave the chance to say anything about it. I'm sure someone knows more about this than i do, so if anyone can up with a good arugement for or against the act i'd love to listen because im hitting a wall

Nelson

Hey guys,
but im having a hard time coming up with arguements against the act for the simple fact if we didn't have it things like user fees and the like could be passed and we'd neverhave the chance to say anything about it.
That's not correct for a number of reasons.

• The Act only affects agency rulemaking, not congressional action. User fee proposals, for example, have appeared in proposed congressional budget legislation, not agency rulemaking. That Act as zero effect on that.
  • There is still a long-standing requirement for agencies to issue a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for public comment, so you still get to object to agency proposals before they become rules. That's independent of the Act.

I think you're making a mistake if you are looking at potential results instead of the process itself. Examples of results are helpful in driving home the point, but they are rarely the point itself.

Committees are the butt of many jokes. It's been defined as "a creature with at least 6 legs and no brain" and as "a group that keeps minutes and wastes hours." A camel, it has been said, is a horse that was invented by a committee. Without the jokes, the choices of who sits on a committee tend to be very political and can skew the results.

Start some research. You could very well be back saying
but im having a hard time coming up with arguements in favor of the act
:D

I understand what youre asking, but part of learning is searching for the ways to get to your hypothesis, supporting and counterpoints.

I think you would be best served by coming up with all of this on your own instead of having someone else do your homework for you. You're old enough to start thinking for yourself.

Back