Help A Fellow Pilot In Need!!!

TOMAHAWK

Hi guys, maybe you could help me out.

I am about to start flying full time in the next month or so.

For the past year I have been using the clubs headsets and they suck. From incredible static to mikes not working they are just useless.

Here is my question I want to buy a headset but I can't justify spending 5,6,7,8 hundred dollars on one when this money can go towards flying. I have been searching for the past year for a good second hand one but there are none around.

I was wondering if there was anyone in this forum might have a headset that they no longer want/require and wouldn't mind giving it to me.

I am more than happy to pay for postage as it will be hefty with me living in New Zealand and also maybe US$100 or something similar.

Sorry to sound rude in asking but have become desparate as the clubs headsets are very average. As I said I am happy to pay you some money.

If you think you may be able to help me out send me a PM or just let me know on JC.

Thanks very much
Ryan Healey
New Zealand

I understand being young, and how expensive not only renting an airplane is all the bits and bobs that come along with it. However if you are going to take flying seriously I would suggest getting a good headset. I have a Pilot ANR, and it is GREAT! Cuts back most of the noise, radios are very clear and easy to listen to, to me it just makes flying more fun and enjoyable.I would recommend taking a week off flying, working a few extra hours, and at the very least buy a DC 13.4 or the Pilot ANR which I have. You will not regret it.

I picked up a decent AvComm for around $200 on sale at my FBO, and it's doing pretty well after two years. Dave Clark's are good headsets, too. I think the one I want is about $250.

I agree with Iian. If this what you're going to do, then you may have to bite the bullet and pay more than you expect/want to.

P.S. - Just making this a full-time thing justifies buying it. Personally, I am going to buy a new one myself and will probably spend about 5 or 6 hundred bucks if I have to.

I know where you're coming from. I got lucky and got a set of David Clarks from a friend who is now flying corporate. At first it was just a long term loan from him, but it turned into an outright gift.

Unfortunately, you may not have such luck. You may have to bite the bullet and get one. Ebay is probably your best bet.

Third vote for Iain. Hearing is priceless; you won't remember the $400 you spent on the headset a year from now when you have your certificate, but you will remember how great a headset it is on EVERY flight - except when your batteries run out
cool.gif

Hate to be the unpopular one here...but I say go for the cheapies if you have to.

I own two headsets. A 5-year old pair of Flighcom 4DXs that still works perfectly!! The other is a Telex Echelon 100 that I've had for about 3 years. They're both good headsets, and I've never had a problem with them!!!

Thanks for the speedy replies guys. I have no problem with shelling out for a new headset the only problem is justifying this too my parents. I have told them that I will need to buyone eventually but they insist on me renting the clubs headsets. They are clueless when it comes to aviation.

Well if no one has one on that they could give me cheaply I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy one. I have trialed all the lightspeed headsets and I have chosen to buy the lightspeed 15XL which is ANR.

Thanks guys and sorry for sounding rude.

Cheers Ryan

A vast majority of pilots say "get a good headset right away" but I have to disagree. Unless you know exactly what you are looking for in a headset you shouldn't spend too much on one. A good headset is a pretty major investment and you should do a lot of comparing and educate yourself on what you are looking for in a good headset. For a good "starter" headset I'd recommend the DC H10-30, or DC H10-13.4 both of which you could probably find used on ebay for about $100 - $150, certainly no more than $200. They don't have ANR, but are excellent passive headsets. If you are worried about hearing loss you could use ear plugs with your headset. A lot of pilots do that with passive headsets. This will at least hold you over until you have had a chance to save up some money and pick your perfect headset, and once you are ready to buy one, you could sell your old one or keep it as a spare.

Absoultely get good headsets. I'd even buy a pair of ANR's if there was a set.

I've got a slight hearing loss from flying turboprops and cranking the radio up in one of my ears with my telex 5x5's and it's a pain in the butt because it happens very slowly.

Next thing you know, your wife is complaining about how loud you're talking or how loud the television is!

I agree that you should get a good one, but not necessesarily your first one. Just get one to suffice and wear earplugs if you have to, until you can save up for a good one and know what you are looking for in a good headset. Like I said, a good headset is a pretty major investment and to a rookie pilot who has never owned a headset, they should take some time to figure out what makes a good headset. A passive headset with earplugs to suppliment will suffice in the meantime. Just my opinion though.

^^ I second that.

I got a nice AvComm for under $100 from eBay. Say what you want about the AvComm Headsets, but I don't think you can beat the value in the end. It's not like wearing a DC passive or an ANR headset, but they still do a good job of quieting things down.

Of course that headset is now my wife's and I have a Telex Stratus 50-D which totally rocks!!

I spent around $800 for my headset, but I looked at it as an investment. I have no plans to buy another headset at this point. Of course if I get a job (in the far future) flying in something with a quiet cockpit I'll buy another one, but that's not going to be for a while.

As others have said your hearing can't be replaced. And for me I was getting frustrated with having to ask my instructor to repeat things because I couldn't hear. ANR is expensive, but being able to hear my instrutor, other traffic, ATC, and my wife when I get home clearly make it so worth it.

My two cents.

Naunga

Re: Hey Doug shouldn\'t eBay be paying...

Well...I say go with a new headset. Ebay would be nice, if you can find someone either in your side of planet or willing to ship the headset to you, I would just buy them though, I'm not a big fan of Ebay (though that shouldnt stop you). I bought mine when I was 19, now I'm 24 and they work pretty well now days, were expensive though (400 bucks).

[ QUOTE ]
A
Next thing you know, your wife is complaining about how loud you're talking or how loud the television is!

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost too late for me...those machine guns really took their toll!!

I just bought a pair of the lightspeed 15xl... I tried on someone elses and they fit really well. That said, they are pretty easy to get in the US for less then 350. I don't know how easy they are to get down in kiwi land for that price. Try a quick online search for NZ pilot shops. I'm sure you can find them for less then 400. Good luck.

Ethan

Back