Hello Mr. K

Orange Anchor

I was walking through the terminal at KSAT this afternoon and coming through security was Herb Kelleher. As we were headed the same direction, I greeted him, " Nice day, right Mr. Kelleher." He smiled and replied, "Yep." He then noticed the cast on my arm and probably my company idea and and inquired how it happened. I explained and he said a close friend had a similar accident. As he walked away I said, "Nice job on getting Boeing to build you a 'baby 757'". He laughed. I was struck at how cordial and unassuming he was. Seems like no facade and no pretense.

Herb's the man, a buddy of mine said he met him as well a few days ago, seemed like a very nice, he gave him his business card and told him to call him when he got the mins for Southwest.

When my dad was on the 737 projects, he went to lunch with Herb. He said Herb was one of the best business guys he was able to go to lunch with. I think he also went to eat with O'Leary and had a similar experience.

When my dad was on the 737 projects, he went to lunch with Herb. He said Herb was one of the best business guys he was able to go to lunch with. I think he also went to eat with O'Leary and had a similar experience.
When Herb convinced/twisted Boeing's arm to redesign the wing and stretch the 737 the handwriting was on the wall. By keeping one type and with the next performance of the 737NGs, Herb had a baby 757 without all the problems of a two airplane fleet. Very smart move!

Going trans-con at 0.74M and FL330 is a LONG and sometimes bumpy flight versus 0.80M and FL410 direct. Still that is not a cockpit for a 4-5hr flight. UGH!

Herb K is the reason SWA treats its employees like assets to be maximized as opposed to liabilities to be minimized.

A truly enlightened business manager.

Herb K is the reason SWA treats its employees like assets to be maximized as opposed to liabilities to be minimized.

A truly enlightened business manager.

Not wanting to poke the bear...but how was Herb significantly different circa 1976-77 than Allegiant management now? How was the pilot group different? When did SWAPA come into being?

Back