Hello form Afghanistan

phoenix 23684

I posted a while back that I left my job at Colgan for a year to fly in Afghanistan. So, I finally made it, will post picture soon, and started getting into the routine of things. We have flown twice already, very interesting country, very rural, and the climate pretty similar to CO in regards to temperature and cloud coverage.

The mountains here can surpass 22k feet, so it makes the flying quite interesting. I have met a bunch other pilots who are doing this as well to get ahead financially and then return to 121 when life shows a bit more stability, so overall I'm happy with my decision.

Well will post pictures in the next couple of days along with updates.

Phoenix,
I just put a resume in to do this type of work. Any and all information about your experiences would be great.

I'm also very interested to hear details. I'm in the process of applying to Air Serv. They're not hiring at the moment, but if I get picked up in the future, I know they have a base in Kabul. For some reason it seems like all the humanitarian flying / third world country blogs that I used to read have run dry lately. I'm anxious to hear the latest of what is happening in jobs like yours.

I'm the manager of our team, but I will only be a back-up pilot. We fly a King Air 100 and are basically mapping the country. We only have one pilot and the others come from Avenge. Apparently they are very strict on King Air time. I heard I guy with 27k hours was turned away because he did not have any King time. Kind of silly.

Basically work is 7 days a week and flying about 6 hours a day. Pretty cool if you can just come here to fly. Living is not bad, 8 person Hut, but no one comes here for the Accomodations. Good if you want to make some quick cash to pay student loans, etc.

Be safe bro!

Send pictures! We have a member that will be in Pakistan one of these days. Perhaps you two could hook up for a frosty beverage or something.

Be safe bro!
... Perhaps you two could hook up for a frosty beverage or something.

Not in there neck of the woods. The near beer really isn't near beer at all. It more like near sweaty gym socks.

Good luck out there and stay safe.

I'm the manager of our team, but I will only be a back-up pilot. We fly a King Air 100 and are basically mapping the country. We only have one pilot and the others come from Avenge. Apparently they are very strict on King Air time. I heard I guy with 27k hours was turned away because he did not have any King time. Kind of silly.

Basically work is 7 days a week and flying about 6 hours a day. Pretty cool if you can just come here to fly. Living is not bad, 8 person Hut, but no one comes here for the Accomodations. Good if you want to make some quick cash to pay student loans, etc.

What's the flying like? Is there any regulated airspace or any type of controlling agency? Are you guys allowed to just takeoff and zip around or do they actually have a structured airway system over there?

How's the maintenance? Are there any issues with mechanics not being able to fix anything when needed, or you not being able to get the help you need for any major fixes? Do the planes generally require minimal maintenance?

MX? King Air's don't need MX! They're bulletproof!!! :)

(But for real, I imagine that's a heck of a good airframe to be operating out that way, it's a work horse)

Well if you ever come down to Saudi Arabia your welcome to hang out with me. I can even get you a cold one ;].

How long are you going to be over there, Allen?

I dunno man, I ask myself that everyday!

Current plan is to come home for a visit in Feb, then come back for few months after that.

Really depends on if Austin comes over or not...

Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm really interested in this kind of work. I've got a phone interview on Wed with Dynamic Aviation. Any scoop on how the work is would be great.

I dunno man, I ask myself that everyday!

Current plan is to come home for a visit in Feb, then come back for few months after that.

Really depends on if Austin comes over or not...

He's talking about it, and I think come Spring you'll find him out there with you.

Heck I'd come out for a few months too if I could hack it, I could get law school paid for after a couple of months of flying through thunderstorms in the desert.

The more the merrier!

I'll get ya hired but I want 10% return on your earnings from the law degree. Hehe.

Back