heli career

rfs333

hi all im new to this site but im just interested in possibly flying helos for a career and just wanted to get some insight from others of you who are doing it or have done it-just to see how you like the profession and ways you recommend to build hours and things like that. Im in college right now i got my helo private about two months ago and am just looking for some info on it as a career.

Sorry for taking to long to answer. It is tough if not impossible to find a job. The list of guys I know who are out of work grows every day. A good friend of mine who has 1300 hrs is now stocking shelves at a Portland grocery store. Schools are closing left and right with more soon to follow. Another guy I know is waiting for the lay off to come anyday. That is currently the world we live in as helicopter pilots. Anything beyond that and I am pulling out a crystal ball.
Shane

wow that doesnt sound too encouraging. would you say it has always been like this or is it worse just because of the economy these days?

There are more rotorcraft in the military than airplanes. Coupled with the optempo of the War on Terror, there are alot of 3000 hour plus pilots with turbine time. I can't imagine it would be easy to compete against that as a civilian.

Helicopter flying is tougher, more demanding, and pays less.

After Vietnam, the glut of helicopter pilots made it almost impossible for anyone else to get a job flying helicopters. The industry has been waiting to see what would happen as the Vietnam pilots reached retirement age. Now that it is here, the current military situation makes it look like the civilian market will pretty much remain an ex-military group of pilots.

I've noticed there are a good number of pilots on this site and I'm interested in how you guys built hours. Did most of you go the military route and did anyone go civilian? And how long are military contracts?

I am civilian trained and built some hours by instructing, picking up ferry flights and just finding time when I could. I left instructing early because I was at a school where there were no students. I was asked to make a choice between being an instructor and working my other job that was paying my bills. I then did a few ferry flights and stayed as current as possible. I worked in India middle of this year and picked up some time there but not much. Somehow I have continued to pick up time here and there. I am currently working out the details for a job out of country but with a US owned company so it is looking like a good setup. This is kind of a long winded post to just say keep plugging away at it and things happen.
Shane

I've noticed there are a good number of pilots on this site and I'm interested in how you guys built hours. Did most of you go the military route and did anyone go civilian? And how long are military contracts?

If flying helicopters is really what you want to do I would suggest the military. The Army has Warrant Officer Flight Training which will guarantee a flight possition. Flight school takes 1-2 years and its a 6 year contract after that.

However if flying helicopters is your sole reason for doing this I don't think you'll be very happy in the military with all the other stuff you would have to put up with.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

yeah I'm sure it's very tough to compete with guys coming out of the military who have all sorts of turbine time. getting the CFI rating is probably a big step for civilian if you can find a flight school to build hours at is it not? I know phi in the gulf transitions people to turbines because one of my instructors just got a job there. But he was flight instructing forever-he had nearly 2000 hours and was looking to move up for awhile I guess thats all he could get since he had no turbine time. Thats a crazy amount of instructing to finally get a better job though

skids are for kids ... silly wabbit ...

I did mine via the Military, UH-1 and AH-1 (yeah I'm old) and then flew a corporate BH-222UT. Was fun but "low" pay considering what corporate fixed wing guys made ... thus my change in platforms ... I miss it but not on pay day.

everyone keeps talking about pay for helicopter pilots is it really that bad? I know that they dont make as much as fixed wing but whats the average salary for EMS, logging,law enforcement and other jobs at those levels?

everyone keeps talking about pay for helicopter pilots is it really that bad? I know that they dont make as much as fixed wing but whats the average salary for EMS, logging,law enforcement and other jobs at those levels?

I don't think the pay is horrible, at least not what part 121 pilots start off making at regional levels.

for me flying anything would be a dream job regardless of pay but I guess the hard part is actually finding a job :)

for me flying anything would be a dream job regardless of pay but I guess the hard part is actually finding a job :)
careful with those thoughts. This is a serious profession that demands serious pay. If you take jobs for next to nothing then it brings down the entire industry.

yeah you're exactly right and I would never take a job that payed less than it's supposed to. I'm just saying that flying sounds like a great job. i understand what you mean because I've seen people advertising in need of someone to ferry their helicopter for them and they were charging the pilot like $200 for a couple hour flight instead of paying the pilot. the crazy part is that someone actually took him up on that offer.

I've heard this a lot too. I have lost track how how many pilots have suggested I " Get into a fixed wing first" I've got to say, when enough pros suggest this .. You start considering it. After all- They are where you want to be. I guess the logic is that the money you make from a fix wing job can fund your rotary addiction?
Let me know how it works out for you because, I'm just as confused.:dunno:

Back