Height/Velocity Curves

I can't wait until I have to worry about being one engine capable. I had a clutch light come on and stay on for about six seconds and that started to freak me out a little. I started to lower collective in anticipation thats enough for me.
When you had to shut down did you hear it first? I have always heard you will hear an engine failure before you feel it.

I had to shut down because of oil pressure/ temp and engine chip lights. Never had one actually fail.

In a multi as big as a Chinook, you will not hear a single engine failure. In fact, unless loaded heavily, you won't notice a performance change either. You'll just notice your torque doubled and half your engine instruments are reading zero.

Oooh! Scary stuf. I haven't had to shut down one yet. But regardless of that extra engine, my worst fear is a transmission failure. I had to do a precautionary landing (PL) after having a main module chip light. That is scary, considering the main module has fuzz burning capabilities w/ a 30 second delay. Basically, after 30 seconds the chip light will come on and that means there is a big chunk of metal creating the arc. After the aircraft was hover tested (which I happened to be the co pilot on that one) and it checked OK, I flew it back to base. Come to find out, the main module was deteriorating. That aircraft had two PLs before mine and two more after mine. The things maintenance never tells you.

Luis

These guys tested out the crash worthy seats... they were in my company and crashed the first week we got to Afghanistan. Everyone survived. The article is long, but if you scroll towards the bottom you'll see a narrative from Fred Pollino, the co-pilot and a bunch of pics. The PIC earned the name "Crash Bandicoot" after this one.

Link: http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/history/aircraft/D_Models/84-24174/84-24174.html

84-24174_12a.jpg

Back