heavy crosswinds

triple7

KIAD 112051Z 29027G32KT 10SM BKN040 07/M02 A2968 RMK AO2 PK WND 31040/2018 SLP051 T00671017 53046

I took advantage of the new access road to the national air and space museum at dulles to spend this afternon sitting at the approach end of 1R next to the approach lights. the wind was gusting considerably and the controller on my scanner was telling arrivals that thre were windshear reports of +/-10 to 15 knots below 1000 ft. A couple j-41's came in(aca) and landed as most small planes did---wing low and using rudder to straighten the nose. I heard a united ###heavy report in on final and he maintained his crab all the way to touchdown. i dont know if it was this board or another board that had a post about this, but i found it to be absolutely amazing that the gear could take that kind of sideload. I then watched a BMI airbus maintain his crab till a few feet of the runway and land straight ahead. Pretty wild vantage point. I was probably about 60 yds from the numbers. Right before i left though an ACA CRJ came in and as soon as he crossed the threshold the nose went up and the engines blew a puff of smoke and they reported going around and a loss of 20 knots on short final. they said they had a windshear warning inthe cockpit. thinking back i remember seeing a couple of different aircraft blow smoke from the engines as they were on final. I would equate that with pushing forward the throttles. Am i correct? Looked to me like they were battling the sh#$ out of the planes coming on. Needless to say i canceled my flight this afternoon in the 172.

Crosswind landings are probably the hardest part about flying the Dojet. We have a 24 knot limitation and I have personally landed in a 20 knot crosswind.

Due to the high wing and the fact that 200 lb. feeder tanks are located in the wingtip, it can be very unstable on the takeoff and landing roll in the wind and you really have to remember the crosswind taxi technique. At times, it can take a lot of crab or a heck of a lot of sideslip to maintain the center line on landing.

I drove back and forth on Rt. 28 (which runs next to and parallel to the Dulles N/S runways) last night during the storm. I saw those planes on approach, those pilots must have been very busy.

I was havign to deal with the wind gusts pushin my car on the wet road
tongue.gif

Mahesh

[ QUOTE ]
Some of those heavies can actually crank their landing gear into a crab.

[/ QUOTE ]

B-52's are the only one I'm aware of...what are the others?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I thought they started with a -152 suffix. A C-5 must be a very very small Cessna...

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely, y.....ohhhhh.....
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that 747's can crab all 4 mainwheel trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The B747's body "trucks" (the two center main gear attached to the belly, not the wings) will turn a limited number of degrees to help with taxiing and tight turns. However, this system works on the ground only.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm not mistaken, the C-5 can as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The C5 may have the same type of system as the B747 has for taxiing in tight spaces, but I don't think the gear can be manipulated in the air like the B52's for x-wind landings. Wing tip clearance just isn't as critical.

Back