Heavy 172 takeoff from 1,100' grass strip?

How is that "density altitude" today?
A dear friend of mine—ex-Western, 777/A, and an experienced backcountry pilot, as well—died at Salt Lake City #2 as a passenger in a Bonanza, because the sea-level pilot at the controls didn't understand that concept.

According to the FAA, density altitude is "one of the most deceptive phenomenons to plague a pilot."

OH MAN they showed us this video the first week in ATC school , every controller my age knew of Harry Bliss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i can take this baby anywhere !!!!!

Ok, some angry Demi-God will strike me down for saying this, but the Feds made some pretty good films.

And clips like this are PRICELESS. From the bee-hive hairdoo to the neuvo-pR0n soundtrack to the hapless one liners....love it!

Richman

Always made sure I had an extra 1000' at soft fields. The numbers don't take into account all the variables that are very likely; knots, bumps, slope, they haven't mowed in 3 years, that tree that has now grown to hang over the far end of the runway.

I don't find exciting takeoffs very much fun. I like my flying just like myself, as dull as possible!

Always made sure I had an extra 1000' at soft fields. The numbers don't take into account all the variables that are very likely; knots, bumps, slope, they haven't mowed in 3 years, that tree that has now grown to hang over the far end of the runway.

I don't find exciting takeoffs very much fun. I like my flying just like myself, as dull as possible!
I like beaches. They're long, mostly flat aside from the slope towards the water and usually just have to worry about driftwood, but if you landed then you found a section without.

I like beaches. They're long, mostly flat aside from the slope towards the water and usually just have to worry about driftwood, but if you landed then you found a section without.

I'm jealous, never got the chance to land on a beach!

Back