Heart Stopper

Eagle

Having the brakes fail on a brand new 5100 pound airplane, during the taxi brake test, while on a down hill sloping ramp, with a castering nose wheel (no stearing at low speed without brakes), as you glide twords a twin comanchee is very very bad.

The cuts and scrapes on my legs and arms will are the results of jumping out of the rt seat and being a human chock...

be103-4.jpg

Holy crap!

So.... did you stop it?

Sorry, gotta ask.... why'd you do the taxi brake test on a down hill sloping ramp twords a twin comanchee?
shocked.gif
grin.gif

The better question was who the *F* parked it facing downhill.

I have some nasty scrapes, and I deeply bruised rt foot, (note toself do not jump onto hard tarmac wearing Tevas.) stopped it about 20ft away, the pilot in the left seat froze, all he could say is "someone stop this"

My reply, as I was headed out of the cockpit, was shut down the engines, two other guys came running across but I got it stopped before they got there.

One **BRILLIANT** Idea was lets start it up again and see if we can figure out how it happened.

UUMMM NO!!! lets not.

the website for the airplane is http://www.beriev-usa.com

I reserve judgment, but others have used the word deathtrap in the description of said aircraft.

Would using differential power for assymetrical thrust helped any in turning the aircraft or are the engines mounted too close together? Quick thinking on your part...sucks you got some battle wounds..

It may have helped but we would have then just wrecked the seaplane as the ramp is pretty small, plus what if adding full power on one engine Didn;t do it, then we would have hit with a full head of steam.

Good point....how did you end up in this type of aircraft in the first place..business or pleasure?

How can the brakes completely fail? don't they have a boosted hydrolic system like a car? so even if the booster fails you still have some brakes, or did it lose fluid all together?

Well if nothing else, you got to be one of the few people who's ever jumped out of a taxing airplane!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
How can the brakes completely fail? don't they have a boosted hydrolic system like a car?

[/ QUOTE ]

funny we spent about an hour on that exact same question,

and it was for fun, the owner of the airport where we have out hanger is the dealer for this POS.

Well regardless it's a cool looking airplane.

How does it handle and what kind of price tag does it have?

650,000$ and here is a quote from a friend who saw it in the water ( I have not)

More importantly when we saw the plane
sitting empty in the water with its wingtips only 2-3 inches from the top
of the water and the water up and over the wing up to the point where the
aileron starts I got thinking this airboat is a deathtrap waiting to
happen. We heard other people making the same comment so its not just me
with my 5.5 hours of sea flying. I think this bird is a big mistake.

You can do a lot better for $650,000. I guess if you have to have a twin amphib you don't have many options (tho I have seen an Aztec on floats). Man, Russia makes some weird looking planes.

Are people buying these things?

Hey, a deep thought. Can you imagine if someone twenty years ago told you "in 20 years you'll almost be run over and killed by a Russian twin amphibian"... man that'd be whacked out.

Thought I'd share.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, a deep thought. Can you imagine if someone twenty years ago told you "in 20 years you'll almost be run over and killed by a Russian twin amphibian"... man that'd be whacked out.

Thought I'd share.

[/ QUOTE ]

But then they'd be wrong and you could think back "Take that soothsayer!"

I heard a saying about airplanes... it went something like this

"If it's ulgy it's British, if it's weird it's French, and if it's ugly and weird it's probably Russian!"

I have to applaud you on the idea of jumping out of the plane and then following through (depending on how fast your goin, but considering it was downhill it was probably good speed) I don't know that I would have even thought of that, and even if I had, I don't think I would have the guts to do it. Glad to hear your ok.

Kostco

I'm sure it's of little consolation to your foot, but better to have discovered the problem when you did than on rollout after landing!

I dunno, I think it looks kinda cool and according to the Web site (I know, I know) the "water displacing wing" helps with stability.

But I guess this is the most telling stat: "Seaworthiness, sea state 2 (1.64 ft (0.5 m) wave height)"

I don't know how that compares to other amphibs but 1.64 foot seems like an awfully small wave. Of course I'm not much of a mariner so what do I know but it seems this thing is pretty much limited to calm water which begs the question about mooring ... what happens when some bad weather rolls in and the thing is moored some place will it swamp and sink?
ooo.gif

Back