Heart Attack

Athena

My uncle wants to learn to fly. He has had two heart attacks and undergone surgery as a result. When he went to the local FBO's flight school they told him that the only way he could fly is if he was by himself. He wants to be able to fly with my aunt and his friends. I was wondering if with the introduction of the sport pilot license etc if he would be able to fly as he wants.

[ QUOTE ]
My uncle wants to learn to fly. He has had two heart attacks and undergone surgery as a result. When he went to the local FBO's flight school they told him that the only way he could fly is if he was by himself. He wants to be able to fly with my aunt and his friends. I was wondering if with the introduction of the sport pilot license etc if he would be able to fly as he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a silly thing for an FBO's to say to some that wants to learn to fly? How could someone who wants to LEARN to fly, do it by THEMSELVES!!??

Anyway, are you talking about the Recreational Pilot's license? Not sure what the medical restrictions, but I think that if he could qualify for at least a 3rd class Med. Certificate, he would be "legal" to learn. Has he gone in for a flight physical yet? I am pretty sure that the physical would be the deciding factor, but I am no Dr....

They told him that they would teach him to fly. However, he was told that he could not have anyone else in the plane with him as a passenger while he flew.

You'd think that if it was that bad, they'd require him to have an instructor in the plane all the time. Not allowing passengers won't prevent him from killing a bunch of people on the ground if he becomes incapacitated

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, are you talking about the Recreational Pilot's license?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sport pilot rating...ever heard of it? It's on the fast track in the FAA now!!!

that sounds bogus to me - what if one of the other passengers is someone who knows how to fly as well? i would think that wouldn't be a problem....

Here is some information i found about what the proposed requirements are going to be for the Sport Pilot License. It looks like you would not need a medical and you can carrie up to 1 passenger at a time but you need an endorsment from a certified light sport instructor.

Training and FAA tests will be required.
Ultralight training and experience can be credited toward Sport Pilot License.
Training period is substantially less than Private Pilot, probably about 25 hours.
Time will be loggable for further ratings.
3rd-class medical or state driver's license.
Controlled airports accessible with advance permission (phone or radio).
Not for hire.
Day VFR only.
Recreational, private and commercial pilots - easy conversion to Sport Pilot.
Aircraft (Light-Sport Aircraft):
Maximum Gross Takeoff Weight of 1,232 lbs (560 kg.) or less.
Maximum stall speed - landing configuration (Vso): 39 knots or less
Maximum stall speed-landing configuration (Vs1) without the use of lift-enhancement devices: 44 knots or less
Maximum speed in level flight with maximum continuous power (Vh) of 115 knots
Two-place maximum (pilot and one passenger)
Single, non-turbine engine only
Fixed or ground adjustable propeller
Unpressurized cabin
Fixed landing gear
Seaplanes may have repositionable landing gear that would allow the wheels to be rotated for amphibious
operation.
Day VFR only.
Can be licensed Experimental if kit- or plans-built.
Owner can maintain.
A sport pilot may fly any aircraft that meets the definition of a light-sport aircraft, but the aircraft does not need to be certificated as a light-sport aircraft: A sport pilot may fly an aircraft certificated as an Experimental amateur-built aircraft. A pilot who holds a private pilot certificate, or higher, may elect to fly a "light-sport aircraft" while exercising the privileges of his/her private pilot certificate.

The NPRM establishes two new aircraft airworthiness certificates in the "Special" category: a "Special light-sport" aircraft and an "experimental light-sport aircraft." The Special light-sport airworthiness certificate will apply only to new factory-built, ready-to-fly aircraft, and not to kit-built aircraft. This category of light-sport aircraft may be used for sport and recreation, flight training, or rental.

The Experimental light-sport aircraft category will encompass a new category of kit-built light-sport aircraft. The maintenance requirements for these aircraft will be similar to the maintenance procedures required of many amateur-built aircraft. Experimental light-sport aircraft may be used for sport, recreation, and for non-compensated flight training.

New EAA Website: www.sportpilot.org

[ QUOTE ]
They told him that they would teach him to fly. However, he was told that he could not have anyone else in the plane with him as a passenger while he flew.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are correct in that student pilots may not carry passengers while in training. However, after he received his PPL, he would be able to exercise the privelages of that license including the ability to carry passengers. The FBO has no authority to place restrictions on his Private license, though they can limit his student solo privelages and include limits in their rental policies.

As mentioned above, everything will depend on getting a medical. If he is able to get his third class medical certificate, he should be just fine.

As for the recreational and sport certificates, the requirements for the recreational cert aren't that much higher than the PPL and you still need a third class medical, so I'd just go for the PPL. The Sport cert isn't legal yet and has some pretty significant limitiations. If, however, a third class medical isn't attainable, that would be his only option. He should go see an AME and find out about the medical certificate before doing anything else.

The basics of the proposed Sport PIlot rule are this: If you can hold a drivers license you can fly. Granted you're limited to aircraft under 180hp, with only two seats and some other silliness but unless there is some specific langauge disalowing certain medical condition (which I don't believe there are ... it'd be contradictory to what the rule is trying to accomplish) he would be able to fly.

I just sent him a message so I guess soon he will know. Once I hear back from him about it, I will let you all know the end result. Thankyou for your help.

Back