Heard you guys...

I really don't understand why there's a Jihad against Huggles here. All kinds of people say dumb stuff with which I disagree. You're probably one of them (whoever you are, random reader). His particular brand of hubris doesn't strike me as any more offensive than that of all the dudes asking which airline takes 250 hour guys for JET training. It's just the other side of the thing. He'll do something dumb, sooner or later, and realize we're all in it together. But I don't see any of those guys getting nailed to a public cross and told that they'll never have a job in aviation again. Why is being Cocky and Young somehow worse than being Entitled and Young? Doesn't make sense to me. I mean, hell, at least he has something to back it up.

I asked my instructor about it today, asked if we could we still do it even though it is not in the TCO, said no, management is not wanting it for safety reasons
That seems...inane. I mean I did full feather and inflight restarts at night with commercial multi applicants...not on their first flight in the plane but I did do it. No big deal. Something they SHOULD be able to handle if they are going to be commercial, multi engine pilots, even more so with an instrument rating. And certainly something an MEI should be able to handle.
Curious, did something happen to trigger the change in policy, or is this the result of some career Flite Skool Box Dweller going through and arbitrarily deciding that it's Dangerous, and Unsafe, and Our Egos Are Writing Checks Our Bodies Can't Cash?

It might have to do something with a couple of Seminole accidents (gear up) in the last month, but gear up landings are different than engine shutdown in flight practice at night. Probably just management being over reactive, every time their is an accident/incident a new rule/procedure gets put in place. They try to make training as safe as possible but sometimes they really stifle learning here with all the rules in place.

They've made additional changes to the training now too but that's more from an FAA/PTS standard with accelerated stall maneuvers for all licenses

It might have to do something with a couple of Seminole accidents (gear up) in the last month, but gear up landings are different than engine shutdown in flight practice at night. Probably just management being over reactive, every time their is an accident/incident a new rule/procedure gets put in place. They try to make training as safe as possible but sometimes they really stifle learning here with all the rules in place.

They've made additional changes to the training now too but that's more from an FAA/PTS standard with accelerated stall maneuvers for all licenses
Yeah, gear ups have nothing to do with simulated engine outs at night, other than that an inadequatelh trained MEI may cause problems with both.

Only one gear up landing, other incident was a normal landing and a brake locked up causing the airplane to depart the runway sideways, sheared off the landing gear. On the gear up landing, it happened while performing engine failure above Vr - takeoff continued procedures, and from the sounds of it the instructor was spending too much time trying to coach a student through a landing when the student was very behind the airplane, they forgot and tuned out the gear horn.

Only one gear up landing, other incident was a normal landing and a brake locked up causing the airplane to depart the runway sideways, sheared off the landing gear. On the gear up landing, it happened while performing engine failure above Vr - takeoff continued procedures, and from the sounds of it the instructor was spending too much time trying to coach a student through a landing when the student was very behind the airplane, they forgot and tuned out the gear horn.

When do you guys fail engines? You said engine failure above Vr.. Is that like right off the runway then boom dead engine?

Ah that's what I was wondering. Did he pull the engine just off the runway and sink down into it?

No he flew the pattern. The 600' policy came about- from what I've been told- after a student botched an engine failure at a lower altitude and the very experienced instructor was able to put it down hard on its belly, after rolling back upright.

VMC demos and/or actually shutting an engine down are two things I definitely see being unnecessarily risky at night. *Shrug*, we were doing all the single engine stuff at night when myself and my peers went through the program. It's not like that simulated failed engine is permanently failed, nor does it take that tiny 4 banger any measurable time to come back into action.

Ahhhh the (un)pleasant memories of training at Airnet in the Baron, holding over an NDB at night in a thunderstorm.....single engine. Not exaggerating one bit.

Did they do it FLX style by pulling the mixture to simulate and engine failure? :bang:

Back