Headsets

Athena

I am going to buy a headset for myself soon. A few of my local pilot friends have recommended Litespeed's products. I wanted to see what you all think. I am considering the 30 g.

I have the Litespeed 20XL. Used it about 40 hrs and have been happy with it. I'd consider a DC ANR, since i believe they are TSOd.

I start flying in june. I will be using financial aid money to buy it. I would wait until next quarter but due to the cost of flight labs i am not going to recieve any money over the cost of attendance.

I am using the Telex 3500. It's a nice, light weight headset. Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Litespeed.

I've had a lightspeed 20XL for several years with no problems. It is the most comfortable headset I've ever used. The best part is that it takes AA batteries instead of the usual 9 volt (like the DCs).

I have the Lightspeed20XL. Right after I bought them, they came out with the 30G for just a little extra, DO'H!

Anyway, I've had the 20XLs for almost 3 years and a thousand hours of flying. They are very comfortable; that's the best thing. I wish they had some more noise reduction though. The plastic vinyl coating around the ear pieces is pieling off now; but that's no big deal and I've put them through a lot of abuse.

After a couple hundred hours, the ANR had to replaced. It was a hassle but the company was very good about it. They mailed me a new battery pack free of charge and that fixed the problem. Overall great headset. I'd spring for the 30Gs though if I ever got another headset. They aren't that much more expensive then the 20XLS and are probably worth the money.

50D2_C72.jpg

Telex Stratus 50-D

Have your CFI buy it for you from an approved dealer, and they can get a significant discount.

I know your looking at the Lightspeeds, but I have a David Clark 10-13X, and I absolutly love it. Then to go along with it you get a company that completly stands behing their products.

Just curious how long the batteries last in the DC 10-13X? This is the headset I'm looking to get.

They say 50hrs, I'm don't really keep track, but it seems like they last a while in both ANR headsets I've had.

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious how long the batteries last in the DC 10-13X? This is the headset I'm looking to get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never keep track of the amount of hours I get on a set of batteries. I do know that in the summer I was changing them about twice a month, but I am flying over 100hrs a month so 50hrs +- on a set would be my guess. The new model works off a 9volt battery (mine has the six AA’s) and I am not sure how the single battery version compares in terms of duration. The DC 10-13X in general is a great headset (had mine for almost three years now).

DC is not better than Lightspeed in customer service. I've never had to pay to get my 25XLs serviced, and they've done it over the WEEKEND before. I've also gotten free earseals from them just by asking, and it was just a minor comfort issue, the ones I had were almost new too, since they had replaced them just recently (also for free, and without me even needing to ask).

Not to mention that Lightspeeds are more comfortable, quieter, and cheaper than any DC models I've tried (cheaper with relation to comperable DCs). So some DCs are TSO'd. Can you honestly tell me how that matters to a general aviation pilot aside from inflating the price?

I found that the quality of the noise reduction to be superior with the DC's (enough so to explain the cost difference). Service is always top notch if you do ever have to have a repair. The comfort question depends on the user. I could never get a good seal over my ears with the lightspeeds, which is critical, or you might as well not have noise cancellation.

Obviously much of this depends on the user so your best bet is to ignore most of what we are saying and try a few sets on before you pay for them. Get the ones that fit your head. I own both. I don’t care for the lightspeeds, but they fit my wife pretty well so I have held onto them. She likes them well enough.

One of my student's had a set of DC 10-13Xs. My Lightspeed 25XLs were hands down quieter. He was also changing his battery (9V) roughly every 20-25 hours, whereas mine easily last 50 hours.

Also, as an EE, props to Lightspeed for accomplishing it with 3V as opposed to 9V like most others.
wink.gif

Again this is all the opinion of the user. If you are buying try them out and decide for your self. One is not necessarily better than the other.

Back