Headsets

Dan208B

I am in the decision making process for a new headset. I'm fairly well settled on either the Zulu Sierra or Bose UflyMike setup unless someone has a great suggestion otherwise. I'm mainly looking for some input on these two from people that have used them. A couple points:

-To be straight up about it, I'm really cheap but I do want to save my hearing. I have a Telex 850 which I love, but I will be flying an ATR which has a list of a few headsets that are incompatible with the avionics and the telex happens to be on that list.

-I'll be commuting on a 5 hour flight to fly so that's what got me interested in the Bose headset so I can use it on the commute.

-My interest in the zulu is that every single person I talk to that has it loves it, and it seems like a good headset.

-I'm concerned about battery life on either, as well as normal wear on the ear pads. I don't want to have to replace batteries every 3 hours or spend a bunch of money because the ear pads wear out in a few months.

Any input that anyone here can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Is there any requirement that the headset be TSO'd? If not I've heard great things about the new Zulu, and the "CVR" app is kind of a cool feature. I'd probably go with the lightspeed set up, there's a lot more passive protection with that than the Bose UflyMike setup.

I'm quite sure that with the UflyMike if the batteries die you hear absolutely nothing through the headset. I've flown with a Zulu, Bose X, and Bose A20 and prefer the A20 over those three. But everyone has a different shaped melon so try them out before purchasing if you can. Also the A20's mp3 input music quality is excellent.

I'm happy to carry batteries in my flight bag, I just would rather not replace them on a daily basis if you know what I mean. No requirement for TSO'd. I've wondered a lot about what ANR really does for you. Does more passive protection help if you are hearing the same decibels?

I'm happy to carry batteries in my flight bag, I just would rather not replace them on a daily basis if you know what I mean. No requirement for TSO'd. I've wondered a lot about what ANR really does for you. Does more passive protection help if you are hearing the same decibels?

Even when I fly 14 hours days (as in 14 hours of hobbs not 14 duty) the headset lasts easily that long. I have zulu2s and the batteries typically last from 20-40 hours (depending on the type of batteries you use)

ATR which has a list of a few headsets that are incompatible with the avionics

Flew the ATR for years and never had a problem with any number of headsets I used. I did have to use an adapter for my Bose X I had at the time but I picked up a jack at a local store for a couple of bucks.
I'd be interested in this list you have if you don't mind.

I have had a set of Zulu's since they first came out. Awesome headset, batteries last a long time, Bluetooth input is awesome (the Zulu let's you stream music, the bose does not) and the anr works very well.

I have the U-Fly-Mike and the Bose QC-15. I love them I get ABOJT 35-40 hours of flight time on one AAA. The only downside is when the battery goes you lose everything. The light on the side will flash when the battery has about 5 hours left so I just check it before I put it on. If its flashing the battery gets changed. I'd love a set of A-20s but the QC-15 are almost as good and half the price. They also have a music input and its Bose so the sound is superb.

I'd be interested in this list you have if you don't mind.

Actually I believe this is a company specific thing for my airline. They were having issues on a regular basis with audio controllers frying. They narrowed it down to headsets so started at square 1, and everyone with a new headset has to get it approved. This is as simple as having maintenance plug it in and see if there is problem and then getting it put in the GOM. I know for sure the zulus and bose uflymike are ok but I'll try to get the list for you.

I had a pair of Zulus and was traveling frequently, so I too was pretty interested in the Bose/U Fly Mike combo because of all the good reviews, small protective case profile, and versatility (use outside the cockpit). I gave them a shot and they seemed to work fairly well with a single O-360 up front but when I used them with a pair of IO-540s spinning at 2400RPM right next to me the headset wasn't cutting it anymore. They also didn't clamp down quite enough so I still had a little wind noise sneaking through...who woulda thunk, not enough clamping?! In both cases however, any kind of moderate turbulence would cause the ANR to cut out briefly, similar to when you are about the lose the ANR on the Zulus....that drove me CRRAAAZZYY!!

Needless to say, I went back to the Zulus. I kept the Bose/U Fly Mike and use it as a backup/passenger headset and I also use just the headphones pretty often. I would imagine that the ATR is a little quieter than the ratty, drafty, old light twin I'm flying so they might work out for ya....just my experience.

Even when I fly 14 hours days (as in 14 hours of hobbs not 14 duty) the headset lasts easily that long. I have zulu2s and the batteries typically last from 20-40 hours (depending on the type of batteries you use)
14 hours?!...you crazy yolo'er

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I really appreciate it! You guys are too split though, I was sure hoping every single person would say "pick this one!" haha.

I'd skip both of those options and go with the Quiet Technologies Halo. I flew for years with bose x and A20's and I thought they were good until I discovered the in-ear style. I will never go back to an over the head, clamp style headset again. I got the Halo's about two months ago and they are awesome, especially if you are doing a lot of flying. I dont even notice I am wearing them. Plus side is they were only $359, much cheaper than the Zulu's....

Are you flying at WP?

I used the qc15 and loved them in the Dash and ATR. Most pilots have those or the Bose x or A20s.

Back