Headset?

stuckingfk

I currently have a pair of Lightspeed 20XL's and I would like to purchase another pair of ANR's. My 20XL's have been great but I need to send them in for repair due to a minor problem. Since I need to send these in and I also want another pair for me, anyone have suggestions on what I should get?

I was thinking of trying something different like DC's, Bose or the new Lightspeed model, but if anyone has any advice, please chime in!!

Thanks

I have the Bose headset. Pricey but also the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. A little noisy if and when your battery runs out, but otherwise a superb headset.

Ray

I'm hearing good things about these DC H10-13X ENC (Electronic Noise Canceling) headsets. I've never tried them, but it's hard to go wrong with DC.

I also have the bose, and would definitly recommend them. They're extremely comfortable, and quiet. raysalmon is right about when you're battery runs out, but I always carry an extra battery now, so its not a big problem.

I have a pair of pilot ANR for my wife that work ok if you want to go the cheap route. I used to have the new Bose set, but was not happy for the money so I sold them on Ebay. They were nice when the battery was working but horrible when it ran out and just not up to the cost in general. I now have the new Lichtspeed thirty 3G set and am quite happy with them so far. I have only used them a few times but the are all that the Bose were and for almost half the price. My other choice was the new Telex 50D but the reviews told me that they were a great set but again probably not worth the money when compared to the Lightspeeds.

I can't comment on the Lightspeed or the Bose, but I have the Stratus 50D (Telex I think)...very nice.

I actually checked out the 30-3G's and to be honest I noticed a big difference between the Stratus and the 3G. The sound was just crisper through the Stratus.

The Stratus has both analog and digital ANR, and the passive side of things is good as well (I actually flew with the ANR off once apart from the sound not being as crisp the NR was damn good).

I also didn't like the 3G's because the volume controls weren't on the ear cups. I know that most people don't people fiddle with the volume on the headset, but if for some reason I need to adjust it I don't want to be trying to get to my belt.

So that's my 2 cents.

Later.

Naunga

re: Bose. My CFI works for Garmin and they have Boses in all their acft. He said they do not stand up to wear and tear well over the long term, they've had bad luck with them breaking and I'm talking about the structure of the headset itself, not the electronic components. I tried them once and really liked them.

He likes the DC ANRs better, both from a construction and quality standpoint. He has DC ANRs for his own personal (instructing) headset.

I have your normal non-ANR DCs and really like them. Someday when I have funds to spend on ANRs, I'll probably either get DCs or the Lightspeeds, as I have several friends who have them and have been very pleased.

[ QUOTE ]
How are the 20XL's? I am considering buying them

[/ QUOTE ]

I was flip-flopping between the DC 10.13X ENC and the LightSpeed 20XL. The DCs weren't as comfy and cost more, so I opted for the 20XLs. Haven't regretted it for a moment. The LightSpeeds are great for long term comfort (don't even know that they're there after 4 or 5 hours - DCs were putting pressure on the earpiece of my sunglasses after 20 or 30 minutes), have awesome ANR, and great customer service. My first set had a glitch in the volume control box; at certain angles, the speaker in the left earcup would cut out. I called customer service and the gave me two options. First, I could send it in and they would fix it and ship it back with about a 7 day turn around. I'm flying a couple of times per day, so I opted to have them send me the part with detailed replacement instructions and do the repair myself. They promised that the warranty would still be in effect and the part arrived after about three days. Now they're perfect!

The battery life is also much better than the DCs. My instructor has the headset that I was considering and he's changed his batteries about every 15 to 20 hours. I just changed mine for the first time at 46 hours and they weren't dead yet (though the battery meter said that they were are 25% or less).

I'm just a newbie, but I'm sold on LightSpeed. Comfort, quality, service, and function for less than half the price of many others on the market. Too bad they're just a little bulkier than some of the others . . .

[ QUOTE ]
I'm hearing good things about these DC H10-13X ENC (Electronic Noise Canceling) headsets. I've never tried them, but it's hard to go wrong with DC.

[/ QUOTE ] I just bought these as a gift for my hubbie (they'll be here Thursday) so I'll let you all know how he likes them. He's very excited to try them out.

(I should admit he'd have them already if I hadn't mistakenly ordered the military helicopter model instead -- they were more, so I figured they had to be better
crazy.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have these and love them. I've flown several 8+ hour trips with them and never felt any discomfort. I can't say anything bad about them. I hardly even know I have em on.

Oh one bad thing, on freezing cold mornings when I forget to put them on my car heater
frown.gif

my partner hadthe bose headsets. I never tried them, but i did notice that things eats 9 volts like nothing! He was always having to replace them.

[ QUOTE ]
my partner hadthe bose headsets. I never tried them, but i did notice that things eats 9 volts like nothing! He was always having to replace them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Within the last year DC switched the battery pack from 6 double As to a 9 volt. You can fathom the strengths and weaknesses... I have the six pack version. It's a little bulky but the batteries last a long time.

Well I ended up ordering the new Lightspeed 20 3G's. Thanks to King (and UPS) they are already here.

I did find the headsets $15 cheaper somewhere else but King was offering a free $49 DVD with purchase of the Lightspeeds. So I decided to purchase through King and I received two free DVD's (GPS from A to Z, IFR with confindence), and a free erasable highlighter (which works great). Overall I am glad I purchased from King and I'll see how they work tomorrow.

Bose has just come out with an upgraded version of their aviation headset. It's supposed to extend battery life significantly (40 hours on two double AAs) and has an automatic shutoff feature for when you forget to turn it off.

Ray

I've got the DC H20-10 and I'm not thrilled with them. They're kinda uncomfortable when wearing sunglasses and the active noise reduction hasn't been working well on them lately (they're only about 8 or 9 mos old.). I pretty much just leave the noise cancelling off these days because when I turn it on it's actually LOUDER--all this crackling and fuzzyness.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got the DC H20-10 and I'm not thrilled with them. They're kinda uncomfortable when wearing sunglasses and the active noise reduction hasn't been working well on them lately (they're only about 8 or 9 mos old.). I pretty much just leave the noise cancelling off these days because when I turn it on it's actually LOUDER--all this crackling and fuzzyness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something is definitely wrong. I'd send them back to DC. They will definitely make things right... I think the warranty is five years.

I first bought the H20 and didn't like them (big everything-ear cups, head band etc.) and traded them for the H10 which I love.

[ QUOTE ]
I also have the bose, and would definitly recommend them. They're extremely comfortable, and quiet. raysalmon is right about when you're battery runs out, but I always carry an extra battery now, so its not a big problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long does the battery life last (average)???

The new version of the Bose claims it'll stay alive for 40 hours on two double AA's. I have the older version which only goes for 9 hours on a 9-volt.

Ray

Back