Headset Trouble

Airlines

Hey everyone,

A couple weeks ago I purchased a David Clark H10-13X headset. When I went up, everything was fine initially, but about halfway through the flight, I suddenly lost sound in the left earpiece. The sound was gone until we turned downwind, then it suddenly came back and stayed on. I went without flying for about two weeks until today. When we turned on the avionics switch, this time, sound was gone from the left earpiece, and stayed that way throughout the whole flight. I tried switching from stereo to mono, but that just took sound away completely from both. I tried adjusting the volume, but that didn't do anything, nor did adjusting the squelch. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? Thanks.

Not sure what the problem is but send them back and DC will fix or replace for free. Great customer support at DC.

I'd have the phone jack in the plane checked before I sent the headset back. Or at least try it in another airplane first.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have the phone jack in the plane checked before I sent the headset back. Or at least try it in another airplane first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto what Aloft said, try putting it in the other jack on the same plane. the input tabs may just be loose.

I don't get it. Rentals seem to have constant problems with radios/intercoms. I mean duh, these systems are not all that hard to wire, yet they get wired wrong all the time. Each plane I've been in new on line, or after an annual, or engine, or whatever major, seems to have some radio problems. I guess mechanics can turn wrenches but just can't crimp and solder.

Think it gets to me more because it is so simple. I mean, only one way to do it. Either good or bad connection. If a question, replace connection, as it is cheap. Yet I couldn't count on both hands the number of planes in the patter that have obvious radio/intercom problems for the noise heard, or the strobe, wheeeeeeh-whhhheeeeee-whhhheeeeeew, in the background (kinda sounds like an ELT) because it is simply wire wrong.

For example, 182 online about a month ago. Was in another flying club on the field for years. After new engine, and on at the FBO where I rent, they find a problem, constant noise on the headsets. Ends up one of the rear jacks was backwards. + on - side, and - on + side. It is easy to do right, but amazing how often it isn't in a plane.

Ok, enough of the semi-rant. Point is, try another plane, and all jacks in that plane. It doesn't cost to turn on the master and check.

Josh

Back