HeadSet Question... (yes another one... sorry)

Thunder-Robo

Hey guys.

Well here's the story... I have a set of Bose X-Heli that i used when i flew with my dad (helo) but i decided to switch over to Fixed Wing... i bought a set of used DC H10-13.4 of a member here for a pretty reasonable price... My dad now wants a pair for GA too, he offered to buy me a new set if i gave him my 13.4s... but i'm not sure what to get...

for the CFIs out there...
-Does it bug you when a fresh student (hour1, flight1) shows up for a lesson with set of top-of-the-line headset that's nicer/better then your's?
-Do you see them as rich a$$es / not deserving?

I owned a pair of BoseX when i was doing my rotary training but always used the loaner that my instructor had when i was doing my lessons...

well i am a seasoned driver (been racing since i was 6) and I'm always amazed when first time drivers show up with $2000 worth of slicks mounted on $4000 BBSs only to lose control at every corner and burn though the tires wastefully... not to mention curbing the rims :banghead:

-What headsets do you guys recommend?

I've been going around my airfield asking to try on everyone's headsets but to be honest, they all feel the same to me... i guess you can't tell unless you've had it on for a few hours... but i've tired the X11, DC13.4, DC13 and the DC60, all feel really good.

Should i just get another 13.4? i've heard nothing buy good stuff about them...

Thanks!

I didn't care, when I was a CFI all that would have told me was that you'd probably pay your bill on time and therefore I'd get paid on time.

I got 13.4s but the david clamps hurt when you wear them a lot or so it seems to me. Right now am using some lightspeed ANR headset.

Hey guys.

Well here's the story... I have a set of Bose X-Heli that i used when i flew with my dad (helo) but i decided to switch over to Fixed Wing...
So you own a perfectly good Bose headset but you don't want to use it for your flight training?

Am I missing something?

You can get an adapter to go to GA plugs.

I have used the 13.4 and the Bose X. I think the Bose is the only way to go. With there no interest finance, it is a no brainer to me. At this point in my career, the cost of the Bose is about 25 cents an hour.

To be honest yes I do think it's funny when a brand new student has Bose...I just kind of smirk and leave it at that. But who cares... I used the 13.4 for a long time and they work great. Unless you have the money, if you're not flying a few hours a day (CFI) then I don't really think you need to buy ANR. I use the DC ANR and love them for what I do. I think they are the 10-13XL or something like that. Only thing I dislike is the bulky box and the cords seem to tangle up a lot....but its getting better as they get worn in.

... I used the 13.4 for a long time and they work great. Unless you have the money, if you're not flying a few hours a day (CFI) then I don't really think you need to buy ANR.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant (well, I am a newbie), but from everything i have read about hearing loss (BTW, I am a physician...so I do have access to more detailed info), it's those darn low frequencies at high amplitude that really get your ears over time.

As I have read through various manufacturer websites, they all comment that while passive headsets have a generally good ability across all frequency ranges, it is only ANR headsets that truly quash the low frequency/ high amplitude signals coming from the engine etc. So, all that being said, shouldnt one consider an ANR headset, even if the total time isnt as much as a CFI?

Forgive me for sounding ignorant (well, I am a newbie), but from everything i have read about hearing loss (BTW, I am a physician...so I do have access to more detailed info), it's those darn low frequencies at high amplitude that really get your ears over time.

As I have read through various manufacturer websites, they all comment that while passive headsets have a generally good ability across all frequency ranges, it is only ANR headsets that truly quash the low frequency/ high amplitude signals coming from the engine etc. So, all that being said, shouldnt one consider an ANR headset, even if the total time isnt as much as a CFI?

That is what I took into consideration when buying my zulus. My wife is a speech pathologist so hearing is a big thing in my house. Not that it wasn't before, I just have a better awareness for it now. My hearing was worth the extra money. Plus, ANR makes it easier to ear transmissions. I rarely have to ask the other pilot what the controller just said.

incidentally, has anyone ever used the marv golden store-branded headsets? They have an ANR headset for $239. Feedback, good, bad, or ugly would be appreciated

Back