Hawaiian Scale

jetsguy737

Hell of an upgrade for Hawaiian. Thoughts? I've never seen ETOPs override which is neat. Off to Hawaii we go?

ETOPS is no harder than a domestic flight.

It really depends on the flight in question. LAX-HNL, not too much harder (although there is extra stuff to look at and NOTAMS to read for your ETOPS alternates.) JFK-BOM, now, that’s quite a bit harder.

In the case of Hawaiian, my understanding is that the senior people tend to bid the inter-island desks because they are easier to work, and commonly VFR. So it’s good to know that there is now some incentive for planning their longer flights to Asia, Australia/NZ, and the CONUS.

Is ETOPS override because it’s 5x harder to plan an ETOPS flight than a domestic?
A carrier certifying for it with the FAA, for us as dx is the hardest aspect. Imagine you're taking a test but it's a live flight and fed bois are breathing down your neck asking you questions left and right and the stake of getting ETOPS validation depends on you.

I plan ETOPS flights all over the world almost every day. It's different than a boring domestic flight but not a bit harder.

I plan them on a daily basis as well, and in my opinion they are more complicated. It's one of the reasons domestic desks where I work have more flights per shift than international ones. But hey, whatever works for you!

Back