Hawaiian looking again

cdndx

http://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=fed00cffe44bbfec

Anyone hear from these guys last time they were looking?

I wonder why they're adding again so soon after their last hiring...is it replacing people, or for expansion? If it's replacing people, why the high turnover rate?

It seems Hawaiian is ramping up their Japan-Hawaii flying, and with the aquisition of the 330-200's are eyeing over some flights to the U.S. east coast... So perhaps they are expanding. Anyone know what their payscale is like?

They just had another A332 come onto property just recently. I'm think a few more for 2012 as well. That's probably the main reason.

Love going there but I don't understand how any average joe can make the numbers work financially in Hawaii.

My friend just got called back again and is there right now. He said he is getting his final call today or Monday. We have several internal recs from profs we had in school that were furloughed there. For the pay aspect of it, it is kind of backwards there on equipment. You start off on the 767/330 and then work your way up to inter-island stuff. Most people commute from destinations that Hawaiian goes to.

That is one way to potentially rack up the FF miles! That type of commuting must take some getting used to. Does anyone know what their work schedule is like?
Call me crazy but if you work their 767/330 and getting heavy international experience why would anyone want to "downgrade" to the 717 to get inter-island experience? To me working those long haul flights gives you the best potential for dealing with bad weather and such. Either way I'll still toss my application in to get the experience

My friend just got called back again and is there right now. He said he is getting his final call today or Monday. We have several internal recs from profs we had in school that were furloughed there. For the pay aspect of it, it is kind of backwards there on equipment. You start off on the 767/330 and then work your way up to inter-island stuff. Most people commute from destinations that Hawaiian goes to.

Are you referring to flying there? I can't imagine anyone working in the dispatch office there that tries to commute from the mainland.

Call me crazy but if you work their 767/330 and getting heavy international experience why would anyone want to "downgrade" to the 717 to get inter-island experience? To me working those long haul flights gives you the best potential for dealing with bad weather and such. Either way I'll still toss my application in to get the experience

Ever had the option? I'll take a short domestic Flight over our 9 hour international runs anyday! Once you have the experience you have it, now it comes down to how much work you want to do during your shift and plotting flights over the Atlantic or around a hurricane in the Caribbean is alot more work that a KCVG to KIAD run lol.

I've heared of Californians commuting, any truth to that?

How is this possible on airline wages? Commuting has tons of hidden costs and HI/CA are two very expensive economies. Must be living on the beach in both places. Watch out for the tide.

If I were to do that I'd live in WA state and then commute out of either SEA or PDX. No state tax in WA.

It would be nice to live in the Aloha State....When I visited there a couple years ago a waitress told me that if you live on the north shore of Oahu, its actually pretty affordable.

How is this possible on airline wages? Commuting has tons of hidden costs and HI/CA are two very expensive economies. Must be living on the beach in both places. Watch out for the tide.

I've been double commuting for almost 2 years now, not ideal and it does cost me a little extra in food and a crash pad but allows me to spend my 4 days off in a tax free state. Only 2 more months and were making the move finally!

A buddy of mine is heading out there in the morning. He said he will provide me with any pertinent information that he can get when I talk to him either Saturday or sometime early next week. He does have to head out there on his own (he is using CASS, so no issues there), and from people that commute from the east coast, they typically "extend" business hours to complete your interview before the last flight off the island leaves. Will update when I get more info. The one thing he was informed is there are 4 raises the first 2 years (basically every 6 months), and starting is 45K. No relocation assistance.

The one thing he was informed is there are 4 raises the first 2 years (basically every 6 months), and starting is 45K. No relocation assistance.

I wish your buddy the best of luck - the "no relocation assistance" thing though, is kind of a downer. It's not like you can rent a U-haul and drive all your stuff there. I can't imagine how much it would cost to ship a car and an apartment-full of goods over there. That's not a bad starting pay either, but it is less than what Virgin America is paying to start (which is in an equally expensive location.)

Well my buddy was tendered an offer pending drug test results, and he said their operation is pretty solid. The schedule is 8 hour shifts, 4on 2 off, 4 on 4 off. International desks do an average of 4 releases per shift, the dress code as you can imagine is pretty lax, and probably the only place you can get away with wearing a hawaiian shirt to work. He said he was the first of 4 offers, they combed through 169 resumes, and have 10 interviews remaining. Hawaiian said the biggest issue they have is when families relocate to Hawaii and then get homesick for the mainland. My buddy told me that they expect a new contract in the next couple of years, and was unsure of profit sharing. Thats all for now.

I think that cost of living in Hawaii is a killer, and I don't think that starting salary can really help someone get on their feet, especially with no relocation bonus.

I also see their hiring as an expansion, not turnover. Hawaiian is starting NY flights next Summer.

Back