Hawaiian Airlines - September 2024 Thread

There is a lot of history and culture behind the company names of Alaska and Hawaiian. To throw that away would be quite tragic and they'd lose a huge part of what made their brands so recognizable and valuable. Pacifica/Pacific Airlines has no history nor culture and just comes off as a generic airline brand name. I think it would be very frowned upon for the company to go through a name change and lose a big chunk of their identity as an airliner.
As much as this can make sense....I need to mention other names. They had history but were absorbed or the names were put OTS. Eastern, TWA, Pan-Am, Continental, US Airways....if I am missing any please fill in the name. Sooner or later it may happen. Hopefully not, but the likihood is high. Good luck to everyone that applied and received or will soon receive an offer!

For those that are wondering.. They're planning on moving us to Seattle within couple of years. Goal is to keep two separate entities rather than merging into one but they did say the same thing about VX.

Also heard that AS initially wanted to keep VX separate but it costed too much $ or something to keep the name? So there might be some truth this time around. Not exactly well-versed on that situation, but just few things to keep in mind. No idea how seniority will go if they do merge. A lot of unhappy people here about the move.

I don’t buy that VX thing. The day of the merger announcement they had a pdf file, and it said post merger, the name would be “Alaska Airlines.” It was obvious from day 1 it would be only Alaska and the Virgin name would go away, o matter what they say about “studying” a brand.

In this case, it’s been announced 2 brands will be kept separate. But I have my guess, and that 5-7 yrs from now, that won’t be the case.

So how is it going to work when they bring everyone up to Seattle? Will it be like Atlas/Polar where we have dispatchers trained on two certificates? Kind of curious.

So how is it going to work when they bring everyone up to Seattle? Will it be like Atlas/Polar where we have dispatchers trained on two certificates? Kind of curious.

I would imagine since they're maintaining two separate identities, that Hawaiian dispatchers will dispatch in one OCC/SOC/NOC and Alaska ones will dispatch in another and they'll be pretty separate with different but similar policies, fleets, seniority lists, etc. It very well could be that AS and HA dispatchers will not really even know each other. The way I understand it is Hawaiian is staying alive, it and Alaska are both now owned by a bigger holding company which is going to work essentially in concert. They're going to each focus on different aspects of a broader business model, and then overlap as needed to interchange pax. I doubt they're going to mix and match pilot groups too much (Though I think a lot of alaska pilots are rated on the a320 series from the VA/AS merger days, so maybe those guys move laterally from one airline to the other?)

I would imagine since they're maintaining two separate identities, that Hawaiian dispatchers will dispatch in one OCC/SOC/NOC and Alaska ones will dispatch in another and they'll be pretty separate with different but similar policies, fleets, seniority lists, etc. It very well could be that AS and HA dispatchers will not really even know each other. The way I understand it is Hawaiian is staying alive, it and Alaska are both now owned by a bigger holding company which is going to work essentially in concert. They're going to each focus on different aspects of a broader business model, and then overlap as needed to interchange pax. I doubt they're going to mix and match pilot groups too much (Though I think a lot of alaska pilots are rated on the a320 series from the VA/AS merger days, so maybe those guys move laterally from one airline to the other?)
They're planning on moving us into one OCC with Alaska dispatchers. Word is that Alaska already has another building ready to move both. Fingers crossed for them keeping their word on two separate Airlines though.

Alaska was clear from the start that Hawaiian will cease to exist as a separate airline. They already announced that they're working to close the Hawaiian operating certificate so in reality the two airlines will exist purely as a branding exercise. The press release when the deal closed was clear on this: "Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines now begin the work to secure a single operating certificate with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which will allow the two airlines to operate as a single carrier"

Sure they could still operate two different SOCs like a lot of places did during Covid but that wouldn't make them two different airlines like AF/KL. I doubt the ALPA contract would even let them do that if they wanted to. One airline two paint jobs basically, and if even United is going back to one SOC I can't see Alaska having 2 at their size.

They're planning on moving us into one OCC with Alaska dispatchers. Word is that Alaska already has another building ready to move both. Fingers crossed for them keeping their word on two separate Airlines though.
The way that was worded to us in SEA is that no decisions on any of that have been made, and this came about because someone went rogue, made assumptions and started spreading rumors.

Back