Having a brainfart with the medical durations

taseal

What were they again?

1st class - 6 months (something if you were over 40, but I can't remember) after 6 months, you have 2nd class privilages for 12 months, after that you have 3rd class privilages

2nd class - 1 year. after 1 year, you have 3rd class privlages for 2 years

3rd class - 3 years.

all are actually 'calendar months'

is that it? I can't remember

thx :crazy:

I'm all about helping but you can do this yourself with even the most basic of google searches. Furthermore, the current FARs and AIM are available from dozens of websites for free. This should be faster for you and will allow you the capability to answer other questions on your own down the road.Good Luck.

I know...

I have the FAR/AIM in my car, i just thought someone could post them up real quick. I know how to use the FAR/AIM.

oh well, appreciate the help I guess.

most questions asked here could be looked on the FAR/AIM ya know.

What were they again?

1st class - 6 months (something if you were over 40, but I can't remember) after 6 months, you have 2nd class privilages for 12 months, after that you have 3rd class privilages

3rd class - 3 years.

MAN I'M SOOOOO HAPPY YOU GOT THE RIGHT. A pet peeve of mine is when students say that after 6 months it reverts to a 2nd class medical.

And you are correct on the duration, however, the 40 year old thing you were talking about applies to 3rd class medical duration: 24 months above 40, 36 below age 40.

Here's what FAR 61.23 Says....

d) Duration of a medical certificate. (1) A first-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of—
(i) The sixth month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring an airline transport pilot certificate;
(ii) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(iii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(2) A second-class medical certificate expires at the end of the last day of—
(i) The 12th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate for operations requiring a commercial pilot certificate or an air traffic control tower operator certificate; and
(ii) The period specified in paragraph (c)(3) of this section for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate.
(3) A third-class medical certificate for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required pilot flight crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued—
(i) Before September 16, 1996, expires at the end of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate; or
(ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of:
(A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or
(B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the
person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of the examination.

Buy 2 copies of your FAR/AIM. Put one in your bathroom as reading material. I do this and it does help cure the common FAR/AIM brainfart.
:)

Speaking of farts and brains...

Reach into your back pocket, get your wallet, take out your medical certificate, turn it over and READ IT.

No regs, extra FAR/AIMS or google searches required. The "conditions of issue" are right there o the back of the certificate.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reach into your back pocket, get your wallet, take out your medical certificate, turn it over and READ IT.

No regs, extra FAR/AIMS or google searches required. The "conditions of issue" are right there o the back of the certificate.

how did u know my medical was in my wallet and that my wallet was in my back pocket :eek:

What were they again?

3rd class - 3 years.

Maybe you meant the same thing, but for 1st class, after the first 6 months, you have only 6 months left for the 2nd class privileges, for a total of one year (since date of issuance).

how did u know my medical was in my wallet and that my wallet was in my back pocket :eek:
I saw you pull it out last December when I was in Boca.

Bet ya didn't know I was cychik... um, sykich... um, psikick... um, could see lumps in back pockets.

MAN I'M SOOOOO HAPPY YOU GOT THE RIGHT. A pet peeve of mine is when students say that after 6 months it reverts to a 2nd class medical.

And you are correct on the duration, however, the 40 year old thing you were talking about applies to 3rd class medical duration: 24 months above 40, 36 below age 40.

Dont forget, The OVER 40 1st class requires an EKG Also Once on or after 35, then every exam on or after 40

Man...why do they make it so easy??

Why all the wiseass remarks to a simple question? BTW, when is all that stuff changing? I thought 1st class medicals were going to start being valid for 1 year and 3rd class would be valid up to 5 years.

Back