Has your ERAU Degree given you any advantage

CFmike

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you Riddle grads have noticed an edge or advantage to having a degree with the Embry-Riddle name on it. I'm about to start my senior year with the school at Prescott, AZ so there is no turning back now!

When applying for jobs, would some place like Net Jets care where you got your degree and what field it is in? I know there are some great classes that we take that will definitely give me an advantage in a new hire ground school such as systems and components, jet transport systems, advanced avionics, flight physiology etc.

But the real question is do employers recognize this?

And if so, are there any companies that like to hire Riddle Grads?

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you Riddle grads have noticed an edge or advantage to having a degree with the Embry-Riddle name on it. I'm about to start my senior year with the school at Prescott, AZ so there is no turning back now!

When applying for jobs, would some place like Net Jets care where you got your degree and what field it is in? I know there are some great classes that we take that will definitely give me an advantage in a new hire ground school such as systems and components, jet transport systems, advanced avionics, flight physiology etc.

But the real question is do employers recognize this?

I've caught more #### because of where I went to school then anything else.
It's good for the knowledge you gain and the friends you make but it really just checks the same box that any state college checks.

I went to Riddle KPRC before you were born....

To answer your question. No, nobody cares where you went to school. Nobody cares that you took "high speed aerodynamics" or "turbine engines". Riddle fills the "I have a degree" box on the app. That's about it.

I was actually slightly harassed about my Riddle degree at the HR portion of my UPS interview. YMMV.....

your mileage may vary = ymmv

to the OP: no. Take a little extra ###t for it I think, honestly.

It was a good education- but I'd never do it again, because it's just stupid to cripple yourself with that kind of debt starting out. I don't know what I was thinking.

I've heard several situations from guys on the line where Riddle grads hype themselves up to be WAY more than they really are. Most recently about a regional F/O due to upgrade right at 1500TT who felt that his education at Riddle made him a 'superior' jet pilot due to his education in namely 'high-speed aerodynamics'.

Its not so much the college, its the clowns that represent the college in actual line flying. Think about the tools that are walking around on the flight-line and realize that they are going to be the ones most vocal about where they went to school. They will be the ones representing YOU when people think about Riddle.

The education at Riddle is decent - I knew nothing about flying when I showed up to my first class, and now I know a little bit more than a guy who went to a certificate factory. Is it worth the extra $100,000? I'd say only if you have some serious scholarships or a major in engineering.

Sorry I missed the thread CF. (I usually search "NetJets" but didn't find this one with the space between "t" and "J." )

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you Riddle grads have noticed an edge or advantage to having a degree with the Embry-Riddle name on it.
No. The institution one attends doesn't carry much weight. Our pilot force includes Doctors, Lawyers, Investment bankers, Two star Generals and former Pro Wrestlers. There are also freight dogs, guys with two yr degrees, no degree, no turbine and no efis time. An ERAU degree was held in high regard 20+ years ago, today it is not as "unique" as it once was.

...would some place like Net Jets care where you got your degree and what field it is in?
No. But one thing they require is a customer service background. Preferably in a high end market (ie...Working in a Conrad Hotel vs a Motel 6, Morton's vs McDonalds). Anyone can get a rating and fly a plane. People skills are a little harder to come by.

...that will definitely give me an advantage in a new hire ground school such as systems and components, jet transport systems, advanced avionics, flight physiology etc. But the real question is do employers recognize this?
It doesn't really carry that much weight. Helpful yes, but most everyone carries the same credentials.

Yes. But I used to know a few that would avoid them too. You can thank the Riddle "stereotype" guys for that.

PS....Congrats and good luck on the last year.

Back