Has the survivor given an account of what happened?

Baronman

It's been a couple days since the tragic accident in FPR, I was curious how is the one survivor and if he/she has given an account of what happened.

It was sad seeing the picutres of that aircraft at an airport so close...May be a different company than mine but we're all up there basically doing the same thing so it really makes me think........

Updated info from the NTSB DB. It has the comments from the girl

NTSB Identification: MIA04FA045
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, January 19, 2004 in Fort Pierce, FL
Aircraft: Piper PA-28-181, registration: N298PA
Injuries: 2 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On January 19, 2004, about 0106 eastern standard time, a Piper PA-28-181, N298PA registered to Merrill Lynch Business Financial Services Inc., and operated by Pan Am International Flight Academy Inc., impacted with trees, a power line and the ground while on an instrument landing system (ILS) approach to the Saint Lucie County Airport, Fort Pierce, Florida. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and an instrument flight rules flight plan was filed for the 14 CFR Part 91 instructional flight. The airplane was destroyed. The commercial-rated/certified flight instructor pilot and private-rated/student pilot were fatally injured. One passenger received serious injuries. The flight last departed from West Palm Beach, Florida at 2224.

The instrument training flight had departed Fort Pierce about 2100, and flew to West Palm Beach International Airport, to practice instrument approaches. After landing at West Palm Beach, the airplane was refueled with 28 gallons of fuel, and departed for Fort Pierce via Vero Beach. The flight did not land at Vero Beach. The flight was cleared for the ILS approach to runway 9, at Fort Pierce. Radar service was terminated and the pilot was cleared to change radio frequency. According to the passenger the flight was in the clouds, and the CFI had taken over control of the airplane. The passenger stated that there was no forward visibility. The airplane struck a tree to the left of the runway centerline, about 1 mile west of the runway.

Hum.. what happened to the MDA? I hate to see things like this happen but unless there's some undiscovered mechanical problem that we don't yet know about it seems like pilot error to me.

[ QUOTE ]
Hum.. what happened to the MDA? I hate to see things like this happen but unless there's some undiscovered mechanical problem that we don't yet know about it seems like pilot error to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
And what do you base your opinion on? What information do you have so far?

This is purely speculation... I am going to assume that if the IP took over the controls, the DH was out the window and the IP was trying for a recovery of the glideslope and localizer. I have flown that approach myself many times and in those same conditions. I have seen the power lines in question during VFR practice approaches. It is too bad. I remember when I started at FSA we lost one of our students at KFPR the first week I was there. I still remember the way I felt when I heard the news. My thoughts and prayers to the families and fellow students...ILS

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And what do you base your opinion on? What information do you have so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that the airplane MAY have been below the published glide path, and the flight instructor took over the controls. The survivor never mentioned that there was a mechanical problem.

Of course, it's too early to judge, but it's the same conclusion that I see, even without having more information. This is why they investigate!

Back