Has anyone flown into BHM?

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
I was thinking about taking the cessna over to BHM just to get some cross country time, and I have yet to fly into an international airport... just wondering for those of you that have flown into it how GA friendly it is in terms of sequencing, fees, and the like. I was also thinking about flying down to SAV just for fun.

I got sent on a 20 long downwind when I got sequenced behind a Cessna. Pretty GA friendly if you ask me!

Sorry to hear that Doug... but you gotta look out for the little guys too I guess
cool.gif
... do you know if there are any good resturants on the field?

Oh gosh Alabama is still part of the union
tongue.gif

I spent my freshman yr. at Tuskegee University in Tuskegee AL. not far from Auburn and Opelika. 30-50 mi. south of Montgomery AL. And too damn far from ATL for regular trips.

Oh man the horror stories that I can tell you. As Doug would say it's all coming out in the book.

Incidently beautiful state...to bad the locals live there I'm kidding folks... or am I
wink.gif

Matthew

And while were at it.....

Don't even get me started on the entire state of Kentucky people should be required to have a passport to go over there
tongue.gif

Matthew

I've flown into BHM a few times, and it's pretty GA friendly. The FBO is Mercury, and if there are fresh cookies baked, it's well worth the trip!!

The fuel prices are a little bit on the high side (about $3.40/gallon for 100LL), and I've heard that the customer service usually leaves alot to be desired. I've never had bad service when I was there....just little service. So, watch your back!!

Just remember, YOU'RE IN ALABAMA!!!!
grin.gif

Hey, I used to live in Tallapoosa Georgia, which was the last exit on I-20 before you got to Alabama... in fact, you could drive down my street about 3 miles and be in Alabama. I've certainly seen a lot of those people.... they used to invade our state and town by the hundreds on Halloween to come and trick or treat. It was a sight to see.... the sad part is, not all of the trick or treaters were under the age of 43
shocked.gif

I flew into BHM this summer. Had to stay the night there due to a line of Thunderstorms that streched from New Orleans all the Way out into the Atlantic when I was on a trip into FL. Easy airport to get in and out GA. Parked at Mercury and have nothing but good things to say about my experience waiting out weather there. They treated me the same as the other two groups of pilots that were there and one was a G-V and the other was a 727 cargo plane. All I was in was a Piper Arrow, so this is not normal at a big FBO. We just beat some weather into BHM and it was raining pretty hard when we got to the FBO. The line crew parked us right by the door so we could unload, then they used their tug to take the plane to their tiedowns and they tied it down. All in all a first class operation.

[ QUOTE ]
I've flown into BHM a few times, and it's pretty GA friendly. The FBO is Mercury, and if there are fresh cookies baked, it's well worth the trip!!

The fuel prices are a little bit on the high side (about $3.40/gallon for 100LL), and I've heard that the customer service usually leaves alot to be desired. I've never had bad service when I was there....just little service. So, watch your back!!

Just remember, YOU'RE IN ALABAMA!!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I bought 100LL this summer it was 2.80/gallon. Not the cheapest I've seen, but still less than what my home airport charges.

I dropped into BMH for a quick unplanned stop last summer. Went to Jet South FBO, and they were good to us. Parked us right next to the door (good thing cuz we had to load and unload some heavy survey equipment) and treated us well. If I remember right, ATC was very friendly and cooperative in handling us, too.

Thanks everyone for your responses... It sounds like like BHM would be a good place to explore.

BHM is certainly GA friendly. I am from Birmingham and fly out of BHM regularly from Liberty Flight Center which is a Part 61 Flight School located next to Mercury. The controllers are very cooperative and helpful for the most part. I have rarely had an issue when I have flown out of there. The controllers seem to do their best to accommodate everyone.

And forget about all the stupid stereotypes of Birmingham or Alabama in general. It is amazing to me the things people say and think about the people who live here.

Anyway, I think it will be a good destination for you to gain some experience and some cross country time.

[ QUOTE ]
I got sent on a 20 long downwind when I got sequenced behind a Cessna. Pretty GA friendly if you ask me!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better Doug I was in a Seminole on the DME arc into Vero Beach just 15 degrees from turning onto final when the controller started to vector me around to the west. He was trying to fit in 5 business jets on their way in from the west coast. He sent us 3/4 of the way to Kissime! I was 7 miles from the airport about to turn final and it took us an extra 50 minutes to land!!! We couldn't cancel either because I needed the approach to satisfy the 4-hour long x/c for the instrument. I think he got the point that I was pissed when I asked him if he could give me the frequency to call Orlando approach!
tongue.gif
Delays like that get expensive at $250/hr for the plane and instructor.

I've gone into BHM a bunch as I go to school at Auburn. For being an intl airport (hahahah) it is very dead and so for the most part GA operations are great. The folks there are real friendly and the gas prices are reasonable. If you get a chance to explore the town, I recommend you hit up Dreamland BBQ ......amazing stuff
wink.gif
cool.gif

Back