Handicap pilot

Of course, all you do is press a big button that says taxi, takeoff or land. This is way more complicated.

We had a guy with a birth defect that left him with half a hand on one side and half an arm on the other who flew beavers on floats for us.

Expressjet has a pilot with only one hand. From what I hear he can fly circles around the rest of us.

I hear nothing but great things.

But what if he has to pick his nose while in the flare?
That's a ridiculous question! Of course he would just go ahead and pick his nose. If the airplane is already in a flare, it will settle just fine by itself.

On a serious note: I recently saw a pilot in the terminal at ATL that had an arm that was gone just below the elbow. He was in uniform and look professionally dress and clean cut. Apparently he does well......more power to him!!

That's a ridiculous question! Of course he would just go ahead and pick his nose. If the airplane is already in a flare, it will settle just fine by itself.

On a serious note: I recently saw a pilot in the terminal at ATL that had an arm that was gone just below the elbow. He was in uniform and look professionally dress and clean cut. Apparently he does well......more power to him!!

But what if he didn't have it quite in trim?

I have a buddy with an arm/ hand impairment. Motor vehicle accident as a kid which basically wiped out his arm. The examiner on his private pilot check ride told him that he'll never go anywhere in aviation with that arm. 41 years later he retired from a 121 with more than 30,000 hours, has a couple type ratings and was Captain for 25 of those years. Physical handicaps don't always slow people down.

Would he have a chance to make it to the airlines?
Yes. My friend runs one of the larger able-bodied pilot organizations, and they get certified just like any other pilot. What you're really asking is, are able-bodied pilots discriminated against? The answer is yes, by people who judge on looks alone.

I give you:

200px-Douglas_Bader_headshot.jpg

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader KBE DSO and Bar DFC and Bar DL

One badass legless pilot. The Germans had to take his artificial legs away, just to keep him from escaping.

Back