Handheld GPS Advice

Hckey2477

I am thinking about investing in a handheld GPS. I don't need anything too extravagant. really looking to spend under $1,000.00. But around 700-800 would be better. If you could give me some input on your experiences with these that would be great. Thanks

I heard somewhere else that the Lowrance 600 was being sold new for $299 now. I have one (bought at the old price of $500) and it is a pretty good little navigator. No weather, but does get the job done nicely. Now, I dont know why they are selling them off for that price unless maybe they are gonna discontinue them? Dont know. Check it out. Pretty good bang for the buck.

go all out and get the new Garmin. its big and expensive but if you keep it updated it is a class II EFB and that means you can go IFR part 91 with it. no charts, no approach plates, its all in the box.

Really Wish I could. I could get that, if i didn't get my CFII. lol. I think I will choose the rating.

Does anybody have any experience with the Bendix/King AV8OR GPS? They have it on sporty's for 675.00

I put the Bendix AV8OR on my Christmas list. Save yourself some money and get one lightly used or even brand new from eBay.

Ill second that the Lowrance 600C. Its a great unit and Ive only had good experience with their customer service when I was updating the card. And for $299 now? Cant beat it.

go all out and get the new Garmin. its big and expensive but if you keep it updated it is a class II EFB and that means you can go IFR part 91 with it. no charts, no approach plates, its all in the box.

Really? I was under the impression (AIM 1-1-19) that you were not authorized to use handhelds for IFR for navigation, instrument approaches or as a primary instrument flight reference. Only for situational awareness. Have a source?

Really? I was under the impression (AIM 1-1-19) that you were not authorized to use handhelds for IFR for navigation, instrument approaches or as a primary instrument flight reference. Only for situational awareness. Have a source?

I believe he's talking about viewing charts and approach plates via the unit, not actually performing IFR navigation with it.

From what I know, handheld GPS recievers cannot legally be used for primary IFR navigation, due to the fact that most don't have RAIM capability. Plus there are problems with using a battery as a power source, no external antenna, etc...

They did a review of the Bendix unit last month in one of the pubs. It's got a few issues....

Take a look at the AnywhereMap ATC. Similar device, has some extra features that the Bendix doesn't, and right in the same price range.

I have one and really like it. They just put out a software update for it and really improved a lot of features on it. I particularly like the "nearest cheap fuel" option.

Lowrance 600C. I had the 500 and was incredibly impressed with what you could do with the little thing. I think for the money, Lowrance makes the best hand held GPS's on the market.

Now if you want to get to the leading edge of hand held GPS products, go with a Garmin 496 or whatever the heck the new one is. But if you need an economical GPS that will get-r-done while having a color screen and terrain awareness, get the 600C.

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to go with the Lowrance 600c or the anywhere map ATC. And to answer your questions. No, you cannot use them as a primary source. I am more interested for more situational awareness, and keeping myself out of trouble. The cheap fuel resource sounds golden also.

Back