Had a weird charter interview...

RightSeatGirl

KA'PLAH BITCHES!
Okay so maybe it's weird because it was my first interview with a charter outfit. But it was really brief, not just for me, but for all four of us that interviewed today, about 15 to 20 mins each. They asked one situational question..An angry captain scenario, asked me why I wanted to leave 121 work and that was it. No questions about my background really, or my flight experience...

What do you guys make of that? The other guys said their interview was pretty much the same. I was thinking these guys may be looking for a specific resume vs. a specific attitude.. Thoughts?

That doesn't sound too weird. Did you have to travel to the interview? A lot of times, in the corporate world, they just want to put a face with a resume. They want to see how you carry yourself as much as anything else. In this world, you actually have quite a bit of interaction with the customer so your composure means a lot.

I have only had two interviews in the corporate world, and neither of them consisted of a lot of work experience talk. I was offered both jobs. Good Luck!

I think you will find, for the most part, that interviews in the "Corp" world are quite a bit different than the "fear for your life" interviews in the 121 world. As DC3 said, most of the time the interview is to put a face and person with the resume. Most places seem to be smart enough to figure if you have a couple three thousand hours you can probably fly an airplane, it is the other 99.9% of the job they want to see about.

Good Luck!

I didn't have to travel. The job is local. I'm a second year f/o at a turboprop regional. I was up against guys with thousands of hours of airline jet time. My only hope is that they are looking for someone that will see this job as a step up I think.

I think you will find, for the most part, that interviews in the "Corp" world are quite a bit different than the "fear for your life" interviews in the 121 world. As DC3 said, most of the time the interview is to put a face and person with the resume. Most places seem to be smart enough to figure if you have a couple three thousand hours you can probably fly an airplane, it is the other 99.9% of the job they want to see about.

Good Luck!
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Charter places are often more interested in how well you're going to fit in with the people working there. My guess is this place wants to make sure you'll be able to do that and that you're not one of those disgruntled airline guys with the us vs management mentality. Now granted, there are plenty of charter managements that can be just as big bastards as in airlines, but you get my point. ;)

Good luck! If you didn't have much of a chance, odds are they would not have called you in. It's not always the guys/gals with the most flight time that get the call.

Thanks guys!! Good input so far..And while I'm at it....is 40K reasonable for an F/O position on a Diamond Jet?

I know it's a risk to take the job...but to work where I live, make more money, have more days off....Well, I suppose I have nothing to ponder until I'm offered the job...LOL

I've had one airline interview, one charter interview, and one fractional interview. One was not like the others. :)

The charter and fractional interviews had no technical knowledge. Some "Tell me about a time...." questions and were mostly to get a feel for me. To see if they could fly a 4 or 5 day trip with me, see how I would handle customers/owners, etc.

The flying part of this type of flying is, in reality, a very small part of a job. The passengers could care less if you can fly from point a to point be and grease a landing or fly an ILS to 1800 RVR, but if you forget catering, stock the wrong soda or beer, etc., they'll care.

Thanks guys!! Good input so far..And while I'm at it....is 40K reasonable for an F/O position on a Diamond Jet?

Does the company also have a Jetstream? If they do, it's probably the same company I'm thinking of and I have some info you may find interesting/helpful - shoot me a PM.

Jason

The only reason I asked if you had to travel, is that it was such a short interview. Usually if you take the time to get there, the company will spend some more time with you to show off their operation and get a good feel for you.

is 40K reasonable for an F/O position on a Diamond Jet?

That is not a bad starting pay for a Diamond. A few more questions you should probably know the answers to... What kind of schedule will you have? Do you have to live with a cell phone attached to your body and always be ready to go? When you are on the road will you have a company card or be on per diem? Does the company put you up at rat hole hotels or nice ones? You probably thought of those and more on your own, but that makes a big difference to your QOL.

Good questions...especially the hotel one..though I can't imagine they stay at worse places then we do at my regional. I.e. Econo Lodge, Microtel....ughh

Back