Gut Wrenching, Embarassing Landings from the right seat

Alchemy

Working toward my CFI in a C182RG, I've logged a total of 2 landings from the right seat so far, and neither of them have been pretty. I just can't seem to round out and flare smoothly when my right hand is manipulating the yoke instead of my left. Another problem is that I cannot see the airspeed indicator very well since it is on the far left side of the instrument panel.

I realize that I just need to go up and practice landing till I get it down, but does anyone have any tips on speeding up the process? It almost feels like I'm learning to write with my left hand.

Don't worry I still can't land from the right seat.
shocked.gif

hehe j/k
wink.gif

It will take a few more landings, and you'll get it. It's just the different perspective from the other seat. Learning to use your hands in reverse from what they were previous. It's just a new skill to learn, not a sign of your flying skills.

It's kinda like that feeling you get when you try to throw a baseball with your other hand........i remember during my first few x-winds from the right seat i wanted to use the wrong rudder....but after a couple the right seat akwardness goes away....

Practice will be the key to getting down the landings from the right seat. I don't know if anyone has ever told you this, but try to keep the centerline between your legs, that seemed to help me. Just keep hacking at it everything will come to you.

It's cause you're in a 182 RG!! It's a tough plane to land well from the left seat, tougher from the right!
D

As far as getting the yaw correct and not having a side load during landing, do NOT use the nose of the plane as a visual reference. Just push on the rudders so that your shoulders are perpendicular to the runway. I'm told that when landing an airliner, you can't see the nose anyway, so that's how they have to do it. Am I right Doug? (Or any one else?)

[ QUOTE ]
As far as getting the yaw correct and not having a side load during landing, do NOT use the nose of the plane as a visual reference. Just push on the rudders so that your shoulders are perpendicular to the runway. I'm told that when landing an airliner, you can't see the nose anyway, so that's how they have to do it. Am I right Doug? (Or any one else?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we can't see the nose of the Saab. That shoulder method works. Also be careful with holding the nose off too much because you can have tail strikes that way.

Make sure you are not leaning to your left trying to get a view from the more familiar seat. You'll get it. Now I can't land from the left seat.
grin.gif

try not looking at the airspeed indicator once you are pretty much about to begin your roundout.

I never flew a 182RG until I was a CFI... so I have NEVER landed from the left seat. Come to think of it, since all my flying is Comm students and renter checkouts... *I* have never landed that airplane from ANY seat.. just criticised others
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you are not leaning to your left trying to get a view from the more familiar seat. You'll get it. Now I can't land from the left seat.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same. Prefer the right seat to have the correct hands manipulating the correct controls.

MD

Took me about 10 hours and 30 or 40 landings but I can make soft field, short field, and 180 degree power off landings to commercial PTS standards now. I still have a tendency to yaw to the right just before touchdown though, which is especially annoying when i have a crosswind from the left. Most of the time the landing is pretty smooth though. Thanks for the help everyone.

Cool! As Rausda27 can attest to, my right seat landings sucked arse at first too, lol. Now I'm also more comfortable there than the left. When are you taking the ride?
smile.gif

Back