Guess what job make it on a "Lucrative Career" list!

Doesn't seem like they got ANY of the figures correct for any of the careers. A WELL researched article. :rolleyes:

yeah not well researched...plus the puns in the article were annoying at best

You mean you weren't making that much at Simmons?

:laff:

Ah, no.

I started at $10.75/hr. I barely made it over $10k my first year there. First year pay at AA was around $20/hr. Never in 7 years at AMR did I ever make over $20k in any given year.

And it's not the job of "pilot"!

The job of flight attendant was listed as a lucrative job that requires no college degree. :laff: The article says that average salary of flight attendants is $55k a year, with earning potential of $100k a year!
:yup:

I had to make a comment.... because that is just not a realistic statement.

http://mainstreet.com/article/career/employment/6-lucrative-careers-no-college-required?puc=msibs&cm_ven=msIBS

HAHA i guess i'm in the wrong profession. I guess most pilots don't do it for the money. I was shocked when i found out how much (or i guess how little) a first year FO makes.

It was funny. When i was sitting in the office with the advisor signing up for the aviation program he told me how this was the best time to be a new pilot. "All the Vietnam pilots are retiring, so every one is hiring"

I thought i would be making $250,000 a year right off the bat. It did not take to long to figure out that was not the case.

And it's not the job of "pilot"!

The job of flight attendant was listed as a lucrative job that requires no college degree. :laff: The article says that average salary of flight attendants is $55k a year, with earning potential of $100k a year!
:yup:

I had to make a comment.... because that is just not a realistic statement.

http://mainstreet.com/article/caree...rs-no-college-required?puc=msibs&cm_ven=msIBS

Did you see:

Base on you grammar, I bet you not graduate pass 5th grade. LOL!

I had to :laff::banghead::laff:

:laff:

Ah, no.

I started at $10.75/hr. I barely made it over $10k my first year there. First year pay at AA was around $20/hr. Never in 7 years at AMR did I ever make over $20k in any given year.

Did FAs at the different airlines there make the same for similar years/equipment, etc? For example, would an FA at Flagship or Wings West have made the same as you at Simmons, all of the qualifiers being equal?

Consider the source:

logo.jpg

TheStreet.com, founded by clueless wonder Jim Cramer.

Did FAs at the different airlines there make the same for similar years/equipment, etc? For example, would an FA at Flagship or Wings West have made the same as you at Simmons, all of the qualifiers being equal?

When it was still 4 separate airlines dba American Eagle, there were 4 separate seniority lists and 4 separate pay scales. They were very similar pay scales though, none of the 4 had any great difference in pay. I think EX had the "highest" pay (by like $1/hr I think).

Doesn't seem like they got ANY of the figures correct for any of the careers. A WELL researched article. :rolleyes:
They are about right on the money (pardon the pun), if not a little on the low side for the Nuclear Power Operator (for a median anyway).

It doesn't really matter though, I hate my job and am leaving it very soon. It used to be a great job, but over the last five or six years an increase in micromanagement and a lack of trust of our management has ruined it. It blows now, they can't pay me enough to stay. I can relate to Office Space in so many many ways, they must have been watching us for ideas and characters.

No power companies are hiring potential reactor operators without a degree.
We do, but you have to pass a written examination and several interviews first (whether you have a degree or not) to verify you have the intellect to be successful in this field. In fact, very very few of my coworkers have a degree. They're all very smart in terms of math, science, and mechanical aptitude, they just don't have a pedigree, and many of them never will. I will say though, that if you have a degree there are definitely opportunities for faster promotions if you want to go into Operations management.

Naval trained nuc operators?
Not so much anymore, they mostly just hire local folks now. When I was hired in 1998, I was the only one in my class of 14 that wasn't a navy nuke. Only 3 out of 12 people in the last (current) class hired were nukes, the last class was like that too. I think they are doing that now with the idea that they are less likely to leave this job (because it sucks @ss) if they have ties/family in the local community. Many of the nukes that aren't from around here tend to leave for a different plant as soon as they realize how fk'd up management is here.

It didn't make the list of Lucrative Careers, but I found the job of "pilot" in "20 Jobs That Let You Work Less, Earn More", in fact it was listed as #1.

1. Aircraft pilots, co-pilots and flight engineers
Hours/week: 23.5
Hours/year: 1,215
Annual earnings: $119,658

This is the terrible misconception that media will NEVER get correct. We do not WORK 23.5 hours per week, we get PAID 23.5 hours per week and that is not even true, that would be credit over 90 hours of pay.

Its more like WORK 36ish hours per week and get paid 18.75 hours per week.

Shoot, you need to "graduate" to the front office! Yeah, you have to work those ten days a month, but the thing practically flies itself, you have a girl in every port, and you mint money. Rockstar, baby, rockstar. :rawk:

Shoot, you need to "graduate" to the front office! Yeah, you have to work those ten days a month, but the thing practically flies itself, you have a girl in every port, and you mint money. Rockstar, baby, rockstar. :rawk:

I have a buddy who, when asked, why he wanted to become an airline pilot, he said "the chicks man, the chicks"

Back