Guam Cerap

I've spent several months there several times over the last few years. I had a blast there, but it does get kinda boring after a few weeks..... Spent a lot of time there deployed with the Air Force, KC-135 Flying Crew Chief.

Here's some good info:

http://www.heptune.com/guam.html

http://www.guampcs.com/moving-to-guam

http://www.shippingtoguam.com/

http://www.escapeartist.com/guam/guam.htm
an excellent website for any info about moving around the world.

http://www.andersen.af.mil/
you probably get to use ALL of the military services...good deal.

I know it sounds far away, but I think it would be exciting. Tropical, excellent diving, but kind of expensive (housing wise) from what I can see. You may be entitled to in base housing. I would call the facility and found out as much as you can. Maybe talk to a few controllers.

Basicaly, Im just trying to gather as much info as I can about this location so I can decide If I would be able to accept a ATC position at the CERAP. I wonder how big of a work load it is in guam, and how the pay would go. Like how long would it take to hit 80k. Also like you guys said if I could use all of the AFB services. Thanks for the info ATLTRACON and the links.

Basicaly, Im just trying to gather as much info as I can about this location so I can decide If I would be able to accept a ATC position at the CERAP. I wonder how big of a work load it is in guam, and how the pay would go.

For what my story's worth, I weighed the idea of moving to Guam at one point. I was originally selected for a Guam announcement to take the ATSAT last year and thought they would try to send me there (later I was selected for a Terminal in CA, then was asked to switch back to CO). If the facility level is an accurate indication, traffic is lighter at ZUA compared to similar facilities - no guarantees, but probably less stressful and possibly easier to checkout there.

Despite the anxiety about the long move, I was excited about the adventure of moving to an entirely new part of the world. Traffic-wise, it appears Guam gets an interesting mix of airline, cargo, and military flights (including some heavies and multiple daily flights from Asia).

While I hated the notion of moving so far from friends and family, I was excited about having a geographic excuse to take some comparatively short flights to visit Asia, Australia + NZ, and many islands in the region.

Basicaly, Im just trying to gather as much info as I can about this location so I can decide If I would be able to accept a ATC position at the CERAP. I wonder how big of a work load it is in guam, and how the pay would go. Like how long would it take to hit 80k. Also like you guys said if I could use all of the AFB services. Thanks for the info ATLTRACON and the links.

Just checking in to see if you've got any new information this afternoon and curious what you're thinking....

You would be able to use the Facilities on Anderson.... however, to what Extent, I am not sure. I.e. some people are not allowed to use the Commissry (food Store).... But I am pretty sure, don't quote me on this, FAA controllers all have unrestricted access to all the facilities on the Base. At least that is what some of my friends that were military Controllers over there have said. Every one seems to like it over there. the Islands is pretty good sized, and as long as you love to do anything that has to do with the ocean and the constant warm weather, you will be ok. The night life there is really great, all the young service members stationed and deployed over there love to have fun, and let me tell you, they find way to entertain themselves. The Base takes up pretty close to 1/4 of the Island. Right now there is A LOT of military activity going on on that island. So in addition to all the comercial overflights ,and the occasional landings, you have all the military traffic, that at the current time, probably easily doubles the normal amount of traffic right now.

As far as Pay Goes, With all the Military Traffic, and all the Military controllers that go along with the increased traffic, I would imagine that you would get certified in a quicker time fram than you would at any Stateside facility. My reasoning: again, this is just word of mouth, the military Helps out with Training over there, and since the Training programs the Military has are pretty much second to none, you have that added advantage.

Moving over there would be a B&^%$, but if you think about it, you can claim all un-reimbursed moving expenses on your taxes, and you can dispurse it over a couple of years, so you in all actuality will get your money back.

In My oppinion, I would take the Offer, enjoy the Tropical environment for a few years, get trained, and then move back at a later time. But that is just me.

Thanks so much guys about all the great info and opinions. It's always good to get idea's on the matter. :)

Back